cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my first DSLR a T7 - ok to use a USM with bad focus motor?

ROMzombi
Contributor

I'm coming off S95 (lens error) S100 (lens error) S110 and an SX620hs. This is my first DSLR. I went to a camera shop today that is going out of business and found a 50mm 1.4 USM for free. I took some pictures with it using manual focus and it seems to be ok other than no autofocus. It it ok to use with a broken focus motor? I don't like the kit lens it came with as the focus is so slow going in and out before it settles on focus in a semi dark room. Sometimes it won't even let me take a picture. The powershot cameras didn't care, they would take a picture no matter what. I'm very new with DSLR so maybe I'm not doing something right or some setting is off.

20 REPLIES 20

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ROMzombi wrote:

The motor assembly for the 50mm lens is available at Ebay for $99.99

Thank you for the information using flash to focus. 

EBay?  👎 Buyer Beware! 

You can buy a refurbished lens for the same price.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-ef-50mm-f-1-8-stm 

One year warranty.  The lens performs at least as well as the f/1.4, if not better.  I used to own the f/1.4.  It was soft wide open.  The AF motors were not very accurate.  They tended to undershoot or overshoot the mark.  I would almost not shoot wider than f/2.2, shooting at f/2.8 was typical.

This is by far the best recommendation.  No fuss, no repair and a 100% functioning lens.  No tracking down instructions or asking someone what or how they did something.  These types of repairs (even if they appear simple) can be a gamble.  Your time is money.  I'd rather spend mine taking photos.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements