cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

micro adjustment results for canon 7D with 70-200 2.8 IS USM II

Falketimages
Contributor

I would appreciate any help. Not an expert on the subject. Pictures come out very soft, have a hard time adjusting camera & lens. I know that each lens and camera in sync would give different results, but any numbers for MA specially at 200 mm. Thank you to memebers of the forum for the help.

32 REPLIES 32

digital
Rising Star

7D or 7D2? What method are you using to MFA? That lens with my 7D2 needs the most MFA out of any Canon I have owned and I have to say I was not impressed. I sent to Canon and they found a misclbrated board. It is better but stll way out to much for my liking.

My MFA numbers are 70mm = +3 and 200mm = +11. Even my 100-400 II only needs +4 at 400.        

thank you for your input

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Falketimages wrote:

I would appreciate any help. Not an expert on the subject. Pictures come out very soft, have a hard time adjusting camera & lens. I know that each lens and camera in sync would give different results, but any numbers for MA specially at 200 mm. Thank you to memebers of the forum for the help.

Do a web search for "Dot Tune Method".  If you get a hit for a YouTube video called " DotTune: Autofocus fine tuning in under 5 minutes", then that is the one to check out.  Download and print out a focus chart if you can, too.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just wanted to add. Currently with my 5D3 it is -1 and +7. Before sending it in it was +14 with the 5D3  and it would go over +20 with my 7D2. That was usng Dot Tune. After the repair I started to use FoCal but Dot Tune works well.      

@digital wrote:

Just wanted to add. Currently with my 5D3 it is -1 and +7. Before sending it in it was +14 with the 5D3  and it would go over +20 with my 7D2. That was usng Dot Tune. After the repair I started to use FoCal but Dot Tune works well.      

Yes, there seems to be some quality control issues on the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.

My recently purchased lens is the same way.  In fact, I had to send the first one back because of a loose fit on my 6D.  It actually rattled as you tilted the camera up and down.  The second one fit properly.  It should never be absolutely snug, because the lens and camera need room to breath for thermal contraction and expansion. 

However, I think my first lens may have been missing the rubber ring, or grommet, that provides the weather sealing around the connection to the camera body.  Last time I'l buy anything from the Big Box store, in the Big Blue buildings, which is supposed to be a reputable Canon dealer.  I don't blame Canon.  I blame the store chain for poor security, and quality control.  I think my first lens had been an open box return.  I suspect someone needed that rubber ring.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

They may have had a bad batch. I have spent a of money on Canon gear and this is only piece of gear on my I'm not thrilled with it list. I use it but it bugs me. I don't want to sell it because I like the raneg and 2.8/. If I do and replace it it I'll lose money.             

I feel the same

thanks, I bought mine from a very reputable store in NY

Thanks
Announcements