cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue with taking photos with Rebel T7 & EF 75-300mm Lens

bmdush
Contributor

I recently purchased a additional lens for my Rebel T7, the EF 75-300mm. When I first got it, I was able to take a few photos. I then tested a wide angle converter with it and now it won't take photos without it at all using AF. It kind of works with MF turned on. But they still won't focus quite right. The camera works perfectly normal when I put my EF-S 18-55mm lens on. Any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It sounds like at least two focal lengths are needed.  One to get a wider shot to fit in more of the environment/subjects.  The second, to get closeup details.  If so, you'll find it difficult to have just a single lens for that, especially one that will help with the low-light.

I strongly recommend renting some lenses to see what may work best in your particular situation, then purchasing later.

Just a complete guess here, and quite expensive, but perhaps the EF 24mm f/1.4 would work well for your wide shots.   Also thinking perhaps of the EF 135mm f/2.0 if you need a telephoto lens with more light-gathering capability than an f/2.8 lens.    You can then trade some light-gathering performance with flexibility by looking at perhaps two zooms: EF 16-35mm f/2.8 and EF 70-200mm f/2.8 (or EF 24-70mm f/2.8)

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

normadel
Authority
Authority

1. Why would you want a wide-angle converter on a telephoto lens?

2. Was the converter something that screws on the front of the lens, or something that goes between the lens and the camera body? What is the exact thing?

1.) To see if it was going to help provide the wide shot I was trying to achieve for work. I'm very much an amateur. 

2.) It screwed unto the front of the lens. It was a Vivitar wide angle

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Remove the “wide angle converter”, and never use it again.  

Make sure that your 75-300mm is set to AF, and that you are not TOO close to the subject.  Test the lens outdoors on a bright sunny day.  Frequently, there is insufficient light for the camera to focus indoors.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did that and I still have the problem. It refuses to shoot in AF. I can only get it to shoot in MF and it looks like this when I try to take an outdoor shot: IMG_2732.JPG

Sorry, but I have to ask. Is it a macro/wide angle device? If so, maybe you just removed the wide angle portion.

I just can't think of any reason why adding this device and removing it would mess up your lens unless it was hard to get on/off and you forced it and maybe effected the lens that way.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I did remove the wide angle portion and that is what the photo above in another reply is. The wide angle converter came on and off easy. I didn't think using it would damage the lens either or I wouldn't have even attempted. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Honestly, the 75-300 is Canon's worst lens.  If it is defective it will be worth getting an alternative.  What exactly are you trying to take photos of?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I work for a church that has large sanctuary as their communications director. One of my responsibilities is to take photos of worship services and other events at the church. Which the worship photos are the hardest part because I am supposed to take the photos without being in the front of the sanctuary or getting too far in the aisles (this is per the church board requests because of complaints about it being too distracting to the worship experience). I need to be able to stand a decent amount of distance away from the chancel and take photos that appear to be close up shots of like the pastor preaching or piano player singing. The reason for attempting the wide angle converter is because the chancel is oddly shaped and I have trouble finding the right place to stand to get the photos I need of a group. 

Honestly, the 75-300 is NOT the best lens for that situation.  I was guess that the church is not overly bright, and the 75-300 is a low-end lens that performs dismally at the wide apertures you would need, assuming that a flash is going to be even more disturbing.  Let's see if we can find something more suitable for the job.

What focal lengths are you using for the long shots?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements