cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone to EOS Rebel T6 wifi disconnects instantly

Ken_Birman
Apprentice

I have an EOS Rebel T6, and starting with the latest IOS update (16.1.2), can no longer maintain a connection to the camera from my iPhone 13.  In smartphone to camera WiFi mode, the camera does generate a WiFi hotspot and the phone does connect, but the phone networking page shows “no internet connection” and it disconnects after a few seconds (seemingly exactly when the EOS app tries to connect to the camera).  It does this even in airplane mode, and even when the T6 was on the house WiFi before being in smartphone connection mode.  The issue is fairly recent: in August this was working perfectly well.

My laptop has the EOS utility but I don’t understand how to use it to access the T6 via WiFi.  The laptop does connect, but the EOS networking settings tool doesn’t see the camera.

The T6 is no longer supported, so Canon just shows me newer camera models… I might not have the latest firmware because long ago, I stopped using a cable connection from laptop to camera.  Would that help?  Not sure I even still have the right cable… I’m hoping someone found a workaround!

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The support portal for the T6 is active and downloads are available.  Software, Firmware, etc.  

Canon Support for EOS Rebel T6 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Manual, please review wireless starting on page 283

eos-rebelt6-1300d-im2-en.pdf (c-wss.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports, I don’t want to seem impolite, but it really isn’t helpful to just give people random advice.  Obviously, since I had this working a recently a a few months ago, I have read the manual and it was set up properly.  You also seem not to have actually read my description of the problem.

To reiterate: with the latest IOS release, the iPhone disconnects from the Canon wifi, and it does this because the Canon camera “hotspot” is not genuinely on the internet.  Please read that again to make sure you understand the issue.  The phone, not the camera, is having this issue.  It is like being on the line with someone and hanging up on them because they can’t access the current weather report.  

This hangup, from the iPhone side, happens before I can control my camera remotely via the app, or transfer photos.  So that is the problem.  Not that I didn’t know what page to read.

Additionally, when I said that the Rebel T6 is no longer supported, I said that because if you look up the Rebel T6, Canon says “this camera is no longer supported.  You may wish to upgrade to a more current device.”  I didn’t invent that.

…so again, I don’t want to be cruel here, but your answer is meaningless in the first respect and incorrect in the second respect.

In my case low power mode is never activated.   The issue is that the iPhone sees that it lacks internet connectivity through the Canon wifi network and disconnects, switching to some other wifi that does have internet connectivity.  Basically, Apple favors routers that have  full internet connectivity, and an iPhone can only connect to one router at a time.

If you haven't gotten this straightened out, you can contact support so they can walk you through troubleshooting. Support is at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), Monday through Friday from 9am to 9pm (ET) and Saturday from 9am to 8pm (ET). 

omardeluna
Apprentice

Hi Ken, I hope you fixed the issue, if not, I had the exact same problem, what I done: erase the network profile in my iPhone, and in the camera I reset the adjustments so I can connect with my iPhone like the first time, now it works fine. 

Announcements