cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to do MFA?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hi guys

So after a few weeks of owning the 7DMKII, I realize that even when I manually focus my shots (I don't use a tripod and I do automotive photography), If I zoom in to the maximum in Lightroom, the photo is still dull (on the lowest ISO at 1/320 as I realize that 1/320 is when the photos are 'sharpest'). Is this because the lens that I'm using isn't calibrated to the camera (using a 17-55 2.8) or is it because I'm just shooting wrong? I've tried both manual focus and the different AF zones, all of them, when zoomed in on LR, are dull. Thanks!   

66 REPLIES 66

Here is a picture where night time effects the exposure.  Same lens Siggy 35 Art and Ds3.

_DS38821_2_3HDR-2-Edit.jpg

This is a tough shot because there is so much difference in the f-stop value of the light and the flowers.  It is larger than the camera is capable of recording.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Here is a picture where night time effects the exposure.  Same lens Siggy 35 Art and Ds3.

_DS38821_2_3HDR-2-Edit.jpg

This is a tough shot because there is so much difference in the f-stop value of the light and the flowers.  It is larger than the camera is capable of recording.

True, but this appears to be a case where the dynamic range of the subject exceeds that of the human eye, not just that of the camera. So the blown highlights don't really look unnatural.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

what's the difference between getting a mrc cpl and a non mrc cpl? how does it effect the image quality?

MRC  is the multi-resistant coating.   The filter is treated with anti-reflective coatings but also adds layers that resist dirt sticking to it (dirt still sticks to it -- but less of it.)

If you don't have anti-reflective coatings then you can get "ghosting" in your images because light passes through, bounces off the glass on the front of your lens, back out to the filter, and then back into the lens a second time -- giving you strange "ghost" images (bright objects such as lights are particularly likely to do this.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Fortunately, two things, ghosting is rare and if it is present, the filter screws off as easily as it screwed on.  Funny how some or most people forget that last part!

However in the places where you would want to use a polarizing filter, ghosting will likely be a problem.

EB

So it won't matter if I purchase a Hoya 67mm Hoya CPL in comparison to a B+W MRC CPL?

"... Hoya 67mm Hoya CPL in comparison to a B+W MRC CPL?"

I wouldn't.  I prefer and most of my filters are B+W.  They are top notch.  However, the fact they can be removed when need be still exists.  You need to assess your requirements and buy accordingly.

EB

I'm just trying to get the cleanest car shots possible without having reflections on car bodies. I have a Hoya cpl for my 17-55 and that's working out well but was just wondering if getting a MRC version would make the quality come out even better after PP editing. Also, which settings would I need to be in for shooting rolling shots? Say above 70 on the highway? I shoot in shutter speed priority mode and Case 2 (constant focus on subject, avoiding possible obstacles) with tracking sensitivity at -1, accel/decel tracking at 0, and AF pt auto switching at 0, but most of the time (i'd say 9/10 shots), the subject is blurred and I'm using single point AF. Should I use a different AF case or tweak the settings of Case 2? Thought maybe I should give Case 3 (instantly focuses on subjects suddenly entering AF points) a shot with tracking sensitivity at 1, accel/decel tracking at 1, and AF  point auto switching at 0.

" I have a Hoya cpl for my 17-55 and that's working out well ..."

Looks like you answered your own question!

As to the rest, it would be nothing more than a guess without actually seeing the situation myself.

EB

I guess haha. but sometimes if there's no sun shining from above, I get reflections on the side (doors, fenders, etc etc). Unless if that can only get taken care of via PP editing. 

Ok I guess I'll just have to play around with it haha. I might be doing some more rolling shots today, also going to try and see if I can use the 35mm 1.4. Tried it yesterday on the highway, have to say the results were terrible lol.

Announcements