cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to do MFA?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hi guys

So after a few weeks of owning the 7DMKII, I realize that even when I manually focus my shots (I don't use a tripod and I do automotive photography), If I zoom in to the maximum in Lightroom, the photo is still dull (on the lowest ISO at 1/320 as I realize that 1/320 is when the photos are 'sharpest'). Is this because the lens that I'm using isn't calibrated to the camera (using a 17-55 2.8) or is it because I'm just shooting wrong? I've tried both manual focus and the different AF zones, all of them, when zoomed in on LR, are dull. Thanks!   

66 REPLIES 66

"... something that's just as sharp or sharper than the 17-55 that I have and can reach a further ..."

And the EF 70-200mm f4 non-IS delivers on both of those goals. Smiley Happy  It is nearly twice as sharp as your lens.

(9 P-Mpix vs 15 P-Mpix)

(55mm x 1.6 = 88mm vs 200mm x 1.6 = 320mm)

Remember to stay away from f4 and f22 (f5.6 to f11 is likely the best area).  Try to keep the ISO as close to 100 as possible.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

haha i just want something that's just as sharp or sharper than the 17-55 that I have and can reach a further distance. Bringing my 17-55 to mazda raceway laguna seca this past weekend to shoot some of the races was a very difficult job, even standing right by the fence on some of the turns was too far from the race cars themselves XD.

Yeah, 17-55mm doesn't work real well at the race track, except maybe in the pits.

70-200 would help, but may not be enough for some things, either.

These are Turn 2 at Laguna Seca, 50D camera (APS-C, same as 7D/7DII), with 300mm f4L...

914Ks in turn 2

And using 300mm f4L + 1.4X teleconverter (effective 420mm)...

GT40 in turn 2

It's different off the track, when you can get in and work closer.

12-24mm lens at 12mm...

Daytona in the paddock

12-24mm lens at 17mm...

Roush GT40

135mm lens...

956 in the paddock

28mm lens...

Out standing in the field

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

@amfoto1 wrote:

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

haha i just want something that's just as sharp or sharper than the 17-55 that I have and can reach a further distance. Bringing my 17-55 to mazda raceway laguna seca this past weekend to shoot some of the races was a very difficult job, even standing right by the fence on some of the turns was too far from the race cars themselves XD.

Yeah, 17-55mm doesn't work real well, except in the pits.

70-200 may not be enough, either.

These are Turn 2 at Laguna Seca, 50D camera (APS-C, same as 7D/7DII), with 300mm f4L...

914Ks in turn 2

And using 300mm f4L + 1.4X teleconverter (effective 420mm)...

GT40 in turn 2

dang seriously? O_o well I was thinking I could use the 70-200 F.4 for cars and coffee/cars and croissants as well, however I'm not sure how well the 70mm with F4 will work out in comparison to the 17-55 2.8 I already have. The 17-55 does really well at close range so even though the sigma 1.4 is $200 more than the 70-200 F.4, I'm stuck on which one to get haha. I'll get both eventually but only one first.

Where were you standing though? I was on the center island watching turn two leading to turn three and on the bridge watching turn four.

iphonemaster93 wrote: 

Where were you standing though? I was on the center island watching turn two leading to turn three and on the bridge watching turn four.

For those long lens shots I was just outside the safety fence, shooting through one of the lens openings about halfway in between Turn 2 and Turn 3. There were one or two openings in the fence a little closer to the corner, but they didn't have as good angle on it. I didn't have a press pass to go on the other side of the safety fence.

The bridge was too crowded to shoot from...

They are among us

I did get some wider shots OF the bridge...

LG bridge

I was really glad I left my 500mm at home...

Big lens

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

holy crap you have awesome examples. I don't have the money to get all different sorts of lenses yet Smiley LOL only a few at the moment, purchased over the last year. Since I won't be going to laguna seca that much, I'm leaning more towards the sigma 35mm 1.4. The only time when I will possibly use the 70-200 will be when I'm capturing a car from far away at cars and croissants/coffee events or doing rolling shots, but I haven't tried doing rolling shots with a wide angle lens yet as I know a lot of people use wide angle for those.

Never been there or done that but if I were to go I would take my 1D Mk IV with the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  Along with it I would take my 1Ds Mk III with the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 USM.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Never been there or done that but if I were to go I would take my 1D Mk IV with the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  Along with it I would take my 1Ds Mk III with the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 USM.

I don't have any of those LOOOL Robot Sad I'm actually really leaning towards getting the sigma, since I honestly really don't know when I'll be at Laguna Seca next time.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Never been [to Laguna Seca racetrack] or done that but if I were to go I would take my 1D Mk IV with the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  Along with it I would take my 1Ds Mk III with the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 USM.

And a Sherpa porter to carry that stuff for you?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

You know I started carrying my F1n's and white lenses all over mountains, cities and swamps of this country.  I am nearly 70 and still carrying that stuff almost everywhere I go.  It is 1 series now, though.  Retired or not it seems it is always there.  There is a air show, Blue Angles, today up in KC today.  I may go to that and guess what will go with me?

The 1DMk IV and big Siggy hooked to my Black Rapid.  The Ds3 with a CPS shoulder starp.  I guess it depends in what circles you run with but was common with my buds.  We all do/did it and no one complains ....... too much that isSmiley Happy

You know it still boogles me to see how different pros and amateurs treat and handle their gear.  You would be surprised.

Man up Bob from Boston, grab those cameras and lenses and go shoot something!

EB

"I outline the object with the drawing tool in Lightroom ..."

Drawing tool?  In Lightroom? Are you sure you are using LR?

EB
Announcements