cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to do MFA?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hi guys

So after a few weeks of owning the 7DMKII, I realize that even when I manually focus my shots (I don't use a tripod and I do automotive photography), If I zoom in to the maximum in Lightroom, the photo is still dull (on the lowest ISO at 1/320 as I realize that 1/320 is when the photos are 'sharpest'). Is this because the lens that I'm using isn't calibrated to the camera (using a 17-55 2.8) or is it because I'm just shooting wrong? I've tried both manual focus and the different AF zones, all of them, when zoomed in on LR, are dull. Thanks!   

66 REPLIES 66

which means I have to stand somewhat close to my subject, use a longer focal length and have the aperture at it's widest or on the wider side. (took both photos this past weekend)NSX.jpg

I got lucky with this one. I believe I either had the focus on the front fender near the fog light or the rim itself. The only thing I clarified was the sky with the graduated filter. The below is the original.

original_tumblr.jpg

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

which means I have to stand somewhat close to my subject, use a longer focal length and have the aperture at it's widest or on the wider side.

That is correct. You want enough depth of field so your subject is sharp, but, a shallow enough depth of field so nothing else is.

55mm and f/2.8 will give you the shallowest depth of field. But,it may be too shallow to have the whole car sharp. It becomes a balancing act.  Initially you can take multiple shots bracketing your aperture between f/2.8 and f/4 until you learn what gives you the right amount of depth of field. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

which means I have to stand somewhat close to my subject, use a longer focal length and have the aperture at it's widest or on the wider side.

That is correct. You want enough depth of field so your subject is sharp, but, a shallow enough depth of field so nothing else is.

55mm and f/2.8 will give you the shallowest depth of field. But,it may be too shallow to have the whole car sharp. It becomes a balancing act.  Initially you can take multiple shots bracketing your aperture between f/2.8 and f/4 until you learn what gives you the right amount of depth of field. 

This is a good video that shows how the different settings can impact the depth of field.

Digital Photography 1 on 1: Episode 12: Depth of Field: Adorama Photography TV

I am going to repeat this ....

" Try a test shot or two with these settings, ISO 100, lens set to 35mm and f5.6.  For this just shoot a large jpg and set the picture style to Standard.  Try to find light that will keep the SS above 1/125 for this test.  U/l the results here on the forum.  Simply resize in LR (10in and 72 dpi) and use the picture tab."

What you are doing is telling you nothing!  Do as I suggest and see if the camera/lens combo dose actually focus.  I don't know why you are so insistant on using 1/320.  There is nothing magical about that SS.  Also when you do my simple test remove any and all filters. None, nada, zip-o no.  We are not testing filters here just the camera/lens combo.  You are not going to learn anything until you know the two work together.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ok i'll try it tonight when I get home.

what is the picture tab and how do you change it to 10in at 72 dpi...? I only have ppi in Export Settings

One reason you may think your photo does not 'pop' is composition.  The white car is distracting and tends to draw your eye away from the red subject car.

"what is the picture tab and how do you change it to 10in at 72 dpi...?"

The picture tab is the one on the post reply form.  The resizing is in LR. ( 10in at 72dpi  ppi )

EB

IMG_5478.jpg

hoping I did it correctly XD

Yes that is a pretty good sample.  It tells me your equipment is working as well as expected.  You are still doing an exposure compensation of +1 2/3rd?  Why?

Despite what other comments made about your lens this is probably as good as it gets with that lens.  On your camera it scores a 9 P-Mpix on sharpness. Overall at a 16.

Compared to a EF 35mm f2 which has 12 P-Mpix (overal at 25)  with your camera.  (Your shot was at 35mm)

This is your photo sample with just lens correction applied in LR.  No aditional sharpening applied.

original.jpg

It does appear that it is sharper with lens correction.  Agree?

EB

my exposure was at + 1 2/3 because I was doing portrait photography in aperture priority mode last week and I forgot about that, so I didn't realize that until I took the camera out again later last night to the mall and started shooting, that my exposure was up that high. So would the sharpest be at 35mm, shooting at above 1/125 with 5.6 at ISO100? (Probably going to start taking two different photos, one with aperture wider than 5.6 and another one at 5.6 for both a shallow depth of field image as well as a sharp image). Yes it definitely is a little sharper. 

Announcements