cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to do MFA?

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

Hi guys

So after a few weeks of owning the 7DMKII, I realize that even when I manually focus my shots (I don't use a tripod and I do automotive photography), If I zoom in to the maximum in Lightroom, the photo is still dull (on the lowest ISO at 1/320 as I realize that 1/320 is when the photos are 'sharpest'). Is this because the lens that I'm using isn't calibrated to the camera (using a 17-55 2.8) or is it because I'm just shooting wrong? I've tried both manual focus and the different AF zones, all of them, when zoomed in on LR, are dull. Thanks!   

66 REPLIES 66

my bad XD I meant the adjustment brush

wow !   I will save your response.   There is so much good info here for us newbies.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before but I've kind of moved on from Canon (I'm on a Sony platform now) but still have my T3i. However, the concepts and knowledge both ebiggs1 and Robert are more interesting to me now that I'm more keen on highlights/shadows/high contrast shots. Studying the histogram and knowing what camera sensors are/aren't able to capture compared to the human eye/reality is a mind boggling especially when shooting red color under the sun at different times of day and blue/gray indoors with different light variations if not using external light sources.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@iphonemaster93 wrote:

Hi guys

So after a few weeks of owning the 7DMKII, I realize that even when I manually focus my shots (I don't use a tripod and I do automotive photography), If I zoom in to the maximum in Lightroom, the photo is still dull (on the lowest ISO at 1/320 as I realize that 1/320 is when the photos are 'sharpest'). Is this because the lens that I'm using isn't calibrated to the camera (using a 17-55 2.8) or is it because I'm just shooting wrong? I've tried both manual focus and the different AF zones, all of them, when zoomed in on LR, are dull. Thanks!   

I would suggest for static subjects from a tripod that you use Liveview and auto focus.

While MFA will affect the focus confirm lights while using the viewfinder for manual focus that technique is probably not precise enough for you to see a difference from MFA.

To MFA your lenses for auto focus when using the viewfinder I would suggest the DotTune method.

iphonemaster93
Rising Star

IMG_5858.jpg

Now I see why you said the Sigma 35mm 1.4 is the 'king' for sharpness. Purchased it through Amazon Prime and did a couple of shots right when it arrived, it is sharp O_o holy crap LOL. Zoomed in on Lightroom and it's definitely up to my standards ^_^. Shot it at 1/200 5.6 ISO100.

If you are not getting photos that are as sharp as these there is a problem.  The Sigma 34mm f1.4 Art is as good as it gets.

_DS38802.jpg

Below is a 100% crop of a leaf.  100% is where pixel peepers do their thing.  It is pixel level.

_DS38801.jpg

I did nothing special. I just went out in the yard after a rain.  I took my Ds 3 and the Siggy 35 mil.

_DS38811.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm doing something really wrong then, because my photos with the 35mm is nowhere cloes to being that sharp. What were the settings taken on those?

IMG_6338_noediting.jpg

ISO 800, 1/80, F5.6. I usually don't shoot with a tripod and that's why I had the ISO all the way up at 800. 

IMG_6333_noediting.jpg

Here's another one, shot at 1/40, F5.6.

Both photos were shot at ISO800.

IMG_6445_noediting.jpg

This one was shot at 1/125, F5.6, ISO3200. I was advised to start shooting with a tripod now so I'll start doing that. This was at 6PM-8PM, hence the high ISO. My speedlite no longer works and I'm still waiting to get another one of those.

On my flower photos I simply set the Ds3 on P mode.   ISO was 800 and whatever the camera decided to do. Somewhere around 1/200 and 1/400 at f3.5 to f5.6.  These are just quick snapshots.  No set up.

I almost never use ISO 3200?  The Ds3 doesn't even have ISO 3200 as a native selection.  1600 is as fast as it goes.

I also think you need to work on your composition more than the sharpness.  Even a nice sharp picture will be ruined by bad comp. Nobody wants to see a guys butt walking aroung a cool car shot!

Also you might want to downside for the web a little more.  You shots are sround 4 1/2 MB.  Mine are 4 1/2 KB.

EB

Oh, BTW, two more things.  You are indoors so the time isn't really a matter. Is it? 

A tripod will not improve those type shots with those settings.

EB
Announcements