cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility downloading duplicate photos from dual cards in EOS 5D Mark IV

rvd1000
Contributor

Hi there,

I just updated the 5d mar IV with an extra card, so that it now has 2 cards installed.

I set up the cards so they work as backup (the 5d saves the same image to both cards).

My issue is when plugging the 5d into the usb and eos utility opens and I import new images: it imports each image twice (once from each card, and with unique file-names, as if it was 2 different images).

Is there some way I can change this behavior, such that eos utility will import only from one card automatically and skip the duplicates on the other card?

Basically I would like the import to behave similar to how it did when using one card only. I only use the second card as a safety backup, so I am not sure why it saves the same image to both cards as if they were 2 different images (I expected it to save the snapped image to both cards using the same file-name on both cards, and then only import the image once.)

I have looked for settings in eos utility to set this behavior but can't find any.

On the 5d I set it to record to multiple and playback from slot 1.

Any tips on how to avoid importing the duplicates from the second card when using auto-import in eos utility?

I can't be the only one having this issue, one would think....

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure what the problem is. Just select the card you want to download from:

Screenshot 2022-12-12 094842.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

It's the end of 2022 and still no option to select automatically download only from the 1 card. Shame.

Not sure what the problem is. Just select the card you want to download from:

Screenshot 2022-12-12 094842.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It's a matter of automation. With the one card only you can select to start EOS Utility and automatically start downloading as soon as the camera connects to the PC. With the two cards, you need to do this manually or deal with double space and time needed for download. Additionally if you keep RAW on one card and JPG on second, the tool will rename the file to Photo.raw and Photo_1.jpg what result in no raw+jpg grouping in the DDP or LR. Original files on the cards are Photo.raw (card 1) and Photo.jpg (card 2) so obviously the EOS U tool renames the files from the second card. 

I think this is the best way to work around this 'feature'. Thank you!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Okay, as you say. I still say that it found your primary file and a backup file. So, it downloaded both.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I said the same the whole time, Waddizzle. 

The point you are missing is that no one wants to have these kind of duplicates created on their PC...

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

This sounds way over complicated.  Multiple solutions have been offered.

Waddizzle - Downloads primary and back up correctly (As designed)

John - Select the card you want to D/L from

Me - Remove a card before connecting the camera (Takes an extra 6 sec), or use a card reader) what I do anyway

The utility doesn't know what your shooting configuration is.  Nor should it need to.  Duplicate, Start card A, go to card B when full, Copy RAW to card A and .jpg to card B, etc.  This behavior is as designed and perfectly normal.  The duplication thing is 100% avoidable by taking the card you don't want copied out before connection.  You'd have to select the behavior somewhere, either in the program or by removing the card.     

If its that important to you, and you want it considered in a future release of the EOS Utility, please make a feature request.  Support portal > [+]Feedback > Product.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The most obvious solution is to SELECT the files you want downloaded, instead of using the “automatic” download feature and complaining about the results.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you.

rvd1000
Contributor

The point you are missing is that no one wants to have these kind of duplicates created on their PC...

Announcements