cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon r6 Purple Bluetooth icon is missing from menu

Midwaymonstr
Contributor

My canon r6 doesn't have the Bluetooth icon in the menu section.

I also tried updating the firmware from 1.0.0 to 1.8.2 but I get "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again" error message instead. 

15 REPLIES 15

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Lets start with your FW upgrade.  Whether PC or MAC, you need to extract the zip or run the .dmg to get the .fir file.  The .fir file is the one you need to upgrade the cameras firmware.  This needs to be copied to the root "top level" directory of a freshly formatted SD card.  If you have two cards installed, remove one during the upgrade process.

Once your card is ready...

**Put the camera into P or M mode

Reset the camera to defaults, both the main and custom settings.  Do not make a back up, and do not restore any previous settings back up should you have one.  You will set the camera up from scratch. 

With one card installed, perform the FW update.  Once you open the upgrade menu, use the main dial and set button for navigation and to execute the upgrade.  Use a freshly charged battery and do not touch any buttons or operate the camera until the upgrade has finished.

If you have any issues, post again and provide details.  One of us will help.  

We can address the missing icon if it's still a problem after the upgrade.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you open the zip file containing the firmware .fir file on your computer and copy only the .fir file to your memory card? Format the memory card in the camera before copying the file to it. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@MidwayMonstr,

You are going to be blown away by the transformation your R6 will become with FW 1.8.2.

The features introduced in v1.5.0, 1.6.0, 1.7.0 and 1.8.2 are remarkable.  v1.8.2 has all of them 👍

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

"My canon r6 doesn't have the Bluetooth icon in the menu section."

Is this not seen in your menu?

Screenshot 2023-08-13 181019.jpg

Midwaymonstr
Contributor

that is correct. The Bluetooth icon is missing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

What icon are you talking about? The Bluetooth Settings enable/disable line in the menu? The radio antenna icon for all communications settings? 

Put the camera in P mode when you are accessing the menus and see if what you are missing is visible. Some menus do not show up in auto shooting modes. Also, make sure airplane mode is off.

Midwaymonstr
Contributor

ok so i was able to install the firmware,

The radio antenna icon is still not there. Bluetooth options are there but they aren't working or they are grey'd outIMG_9991.jpg. I did check and Airplane mode is off, adjusted the dial to P and checked other menu's and it still not there. i'm sure it's something very simple that i am overlooking. i keep tapping on Enable but nothing happens... 

Anonymous
Not applicable

What was the menu shown before the one in your picture? It looks like Bluetooth is enabled according to your picture.

You could try resetting the camera back to factory default settings (along with custom functions).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I believe that Wi-Fi has to be enabled for Bluetooth to work, if I am not mistaken.

I would recommend downloading the manual from Canon support site and read up on how to set up Bluetooth communications.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r6 

click here to view the gallery
Announcements