cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon r50 focus won't set focus mode to MF in camera menu - also no magnify available

JHTibbets
Apprentice

Parameters of problem:

I do not have any R series lenses and am using Canon EF mount lenses with an adapter that functions properly with all Canon lenses and third party lenses I have in all manner, including focus merge (stacking), AF operation, image stabilization, etc.

All except when trying to use magnify in MF modes. This does not work with any EOS EF type lens, AT ALL. Via switch or body menu, the latter of which is not available at all!

I have set "Release shutter w/o lens" to ON  (I have also tested it with that setting OFF - to no avail)

In AF menu - sub menu 1 - there is no dropdown on the camera to set MF. Only choices in AF - ONE SHOT - AI FOCUS - SERVO come up. Attempting to scroll down with the down button  (nor up) does not bring up the option as the manual states should occur.

The magnify function with the upper right * button does nothing to enlarge a focus area, neither with multiple presses, as per Sony or Olympus does it, or the stupid Canon way where the manual states you have to then press the INFO button (but that may be just to set the magnification level - once again, that is with multiple pressing of the same assigned button on Sony or Olympus cameras).

The only MF aid I have available on this R50 camera is the peaking function, which I don't use on my Sony or Olympus cameras because peaking is not very accurate compared to using the magnifier. (And please, don't even try to tell me it is. I deal with very large prints up to 8 feet, and have been using manual focus lenses on Sony bodies for almost 12 years. It just isn't.)

I am concerned about the lack of an ability to set the camera focusing to MF in the AF Menu 1, because the manual indicates it is supposed to be there. I am more concerned and really annoyed that magnify just plain doesn't work, even by just setting the lens switch to MF, and rotating the focus ring, as on an AF Sony E mount, or Olympus m4/3 mount lens.  Magnify also works perfectly on both Sony and Olympus cameras with a fully manual lens, such as an old rangefinder or SLR lens, many of which actually still resolve better than the best modern glass, though that advantage has narrowed considerably in the last five years. 

Solutions?

Or does Canon just plain suck at this?  Forget about magnify because it just doesn't function!

Lousy, and imprecise focusing screens on Canon DSLRs were why I moved to Pentax Digital almost 20 years ago for macro, and moved to Sony for applications using manual focus lenses on the Sony A7R series. 

I will say that I am impressed with the focus merge (stacking) feature because it will work with any AF EF lens, at least any I have, which include both cheap and L series Canon glass and glass from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. The Olympus system works only with certain Olympus lenses. The only downside with the Canon system is that it doesn't save each step. Olympus does so you can use a focus merge program, such as on Affinity Photo to merge images that the camera software fails to merge without a ghost.  Otherwise, the Canon focus merge feature is more versatile.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Solutions?  Or does Canon just plain suck at this?  Forget about magnify because it just doesn't function! “

I don’t understand what it is that you are trying to do. Too much noise.

Are you trying to use AF or MF?  Are trying to magnify the view and do what?  Magnify and use AF, or MF?  

The camera doesn’t have electronic zoom. You can magnify the image to manually focus. But the manual focusing aids do not work with magnified viewing. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Why is it you just read to the end and ignored what I said!

I clearly stated that I was trying to use magnify in MANUAL FOCUS.

I gave the other information to avoid someone making frivolous suggestions, such as, set the camera to MF in the menu, and set the camera to operate w/o lens. Where did you get any idea that I was referring such garbage as "digital zoom". Where does  that come from?? Did you read the title?

All except when trying to use magnify in MF modes. This does not work with any EOS EF type lens, AT ALL. Via switch or body menu, the latter of which is not available at all!

I have set "Release shutter w/o lens" to ON  (I have also tested it with that setting OFF - to no avail)

In AF menu - sub menu 1 - there is no dropdown on the camera to set MF. Only choices in AF - ONE SHOT - AI FOCUS - SERVO come up. Attempting to scroll down with the down button  (nor up) does not bring up the option as the manual states should occur.

The magnify function with the upper right * button does nothing to enlarge a focus area, neither with multiple presses, as per Sony or Olympus does it, or the stupid Canon way where the manual states you have to then press the INFO button (but that may be just to set the magnification level - once again, that is with multiple pressing of the same assigned button on Sony or Olympus cameras).

"You can magnify the image to manually focus. But the manual focusing aids do not work with magnified viewing. "

That's the problem. NO, NO, NO. It doesn't.

"Are you trying to use AF or MF?"

Where oh where did I say I was trying to use the magnify feature in AF? Absolutely nowhere. 

BTW, since you clearly know nothing about focus magnification in a Sony or Olympus cameras, you actually can instantly magnify the focus area by simply turning the manual focus ring on on of those cameras. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Too much noise. 

https://cam.start.canon/en/C011/manual/c011.pdf 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The pages in the Canon R50 manual that cover these problems are:

https://cam.start.canon/en/C011/manual/html/UG-06_AF-Drive_0100.html 

and https://cam.start.canon/en/C011/manual/html/UG-06_AF-Drive_0100.html 

but that hasn't solved the issue of either the lack of a way to set the camera body to manual focus, if needed.

Nor does following the directions to use the magnify function with manual focus function on this R50 work in any way at all. 

I've already read the manual long before your response, and have gone over it several times since, including several times today. I have read some of your other posts to other subjects and am amazed at how little help you seem to be. It looks like you just post for vanity.

I have a lot of experience using these functions to magnify the image for focusing on numerous mirrorless Sony cameras, including NEX, and full frame and crop frame bodies. I have also used the feature on several Olympus OMD series cameras. I have used both old manual focus lenses on all of the above (with adapters), and  camera maker native AF lenses, and even used Canon EOS EF lenses with full function adapters on the Canon and Olympus cameras with no problems. My problem is why isn't this simple function working at all on this R50?!

I have the definite impression of you that you probably consider anything you don't understand as "too much noise".  I really wish you had left the question to be answered by someone who had enough depth of thought to actually try to understand the problem. Something is wrong with this camera body or the Canon system. 

I want to know why, or if there is a solution. IT IS NOT in the manual. It will be from someone who has a R body and has used the feature, or tried to use the feature with an EOS EF lens. As explained  before in what you call "too much noise", a setting is not even in the menu (AF - submenu 1) and the actual focus magnifier does not work. It does not work when turning the focus ring with or without a half press. It does not work with pressing the * (magnify button) with or w/o a half press. It just doesn't work at all. 

AS I stated before, the EOS lenses function perfectly on the R50 with an adapter in all functions EXCEPT this. Please, don't respond. Please, in the future, do everyone else a favor and respond only to questions you can actually impart actual knowledge. It is clear that you know nothing about the functions of this camera, nor using EOS EF lenses on an R body.

I would really like to hear from someone who has actually done this, for better or worse.

Announcements