Mickey-125
Apprentice

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Not sure what you are trying to remove?

I might try Qtips and some absorbent paper towel or toilet paper.  Go extremely sparingly if you use any alcohol..  as in barely damp, not wet.  Toothpicks may also help.  

Screenshot_20230401-111711.png

The corners of old business cards can work too.  Be gentle whatever you decide.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

A small amount of soda was spilled on the camera and went under the switch. It takes a lot of force just to turn it on each time as it sticks.

I addition to what Rick recommended, if that doesn't work, you could try the corner of a business card or a piece of dental floss. Since the soda has probably dried by now maybe all you need to do is break the bond.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

A good high quality piece of light color yarn might work too.  If that doesn't resolve it, You can send it to Canon.  They have an 18 point inspection / cleaning / maintenance (inside and out) which should handle the buttons, switches, etc.

Canon Support | Canon Maintenance Service | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Like the others have advised, gentle is the key word. I was doing a wedding reception one time and a young girl spilled nearly a bottle of ketchup on one of my lenses. And some numbskulls say a protecto filter is useless!

Anyway I found a small amount of WD40 on a toothbrush worked fairly well. WD40 won't hurt your electronics as alcohol might if you use too much. Of course on a lens you don't want any liquid to get inside especially WD40 since it may wash off the lens mech lube, too. You don't have that problem with your switch, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements