cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Mark II Difficulty Getting Sharp Focus Sports Photos

Rhwalk1
Contributor

canon 7d mark ii I have a very difficult getting sharp focus shooting sports. My canon 6d is better at the focus. Any thoughts? I use the focus with four points, i have tried spot all the same result. Maybe it is me. Is there a way to test and make sure my cameras focus is ok.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Randy

3 REPLIES 3

rwr1987
Apprentice

Hi yes there is a way using a focus "target" tool, its basically a set of fine lines usually numbered and you take a an image and see how accurate the focus is. The tool or process is called focus alignment. It is a pain as you must be really picky and specific on how you set up the camera and the focus align tool/target, IE same height, parallel, both level and plum. I did not make this video but take a look at this. (PS I am a photography professor and have had to set this up and test several lenses/cameras over the years, for students) try this video out ok https://youtu.be/3JPTnz_mimo  hope this helps, also are you usung the "AI servo" for tracking the movement?

Rhwalk1
Contributor

Yes i am using the aI servo.

Rhwalk1
Contributor

I have discovered that my focus problem was solved.  I was always using the spot focus for basketball games and my photos were a tad blurry 80% of the time.  I switched to the 15 AF points that follow the closest person. My photos came out great.  I just had to take a short time to make sure my focus was set.  I am very Happy with the results. It seemed that everyone was telling me to use the spot focus for tac sharp pictures.  Using the AF focus solved my problem.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements