cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot get Eos utility to work both wirelessly or USB, I have the latest version of the utility prog

gwhib
Contributor

I have had a long standing problem with transfering photos from my 6D to my computer, I have tried via wi_fi and USB I have tried just about every setting on the camera I can think of, I have check to see that I have the latest version of the utility program, and I have, I think the problem lays with the camera, has anybody any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Please provide a little more info so the forum can try to help you.

WHat OS are you using.

Does your computer recognize your camera whenh you connect via USB and turn the camera on?

Are you saying that when you connect your camera to your computer and start the EOS Utility program you cannot download photos?

Does EOS Utility recognize your camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My computer does not recognise my 6D when I connect it via USB, my os is Windows 10/ 64 I did manage to connect to the utility via USB and download photos after I posted the message but as for Wi-Fi its no go

Found this on line:

http://www.p4pictures.com/2014/08/wifi-pairing-eos-camera-utility-3/

Are you in the EU? The reason I ask is that EU versions of W10 are shipped w/o the digital media capability. You can download the files here:

http://blog.bitcollectors.com/adam/2013/03/windows-vista-and-7-n-k-kn-special-editions/

Finally, I beleieve that if you have something plugged into the camera USB port wifi is disabled.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Found this on line:

http://www.p4pictures.com/2014/08/wifi-pairing-eos-camera-utility-3/

Are you in the EU? The reason I ask is that EU versions of W10 are shipped w/o the digital media capability. You can download the files here:

http://blog.bitcollectors.com/adam/2013/03/windows-vista-and-7-n-k-kn-special-editions/

Finally, I beleieve that if you have something plugged into the camera USB port wifi is disabled.

yes I know about the wi-fi USB thing I have not tried the wi-fi while the USB lead is still pluged in, the other comment I will have to look into, but I must say I have never found it easy to connect the camera

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

While I don't personally have a 6D, a good friend of mine does and we were just out shooting with it this week.  I had to help him unload the images from the camera.  The 6D has both "USB" and "Wi-Fi" but if one is enabled, the other is disabled (it's an either/or -- not both.). 

If you want to connect via USB, then you must go into the camera menu (as I recall it's the menu tab with the Yellow "Wrench" icon and 2 dots) and you'll find the feature to enable/disable WiFi.  You have to disable WiFi to use USB.

To use WiFi to the computer, Canon's EOS Utility Launcher has a menu to help it connect to the camera.  I think the USB method is certainly easier.  

Lastly, there's also the option to just insert the camera's memory card into the computer (or get a card reader for your computer if it does not already have one.).  If your computer doesn't have a card reader... you can always get one.  I've had some spotty luck with them.  I finally stumbled onto the Lexar dual-slot (has both CF and SD card slots) USB 3 reader and so far that's been the most reliable (it has worked with every computer and every OS revision without any hiccups -- it was about $35.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

While I don't personally have a 6D, a good friend of mine does and we were just out shooting with it this week.  I had to help him unload the images from the camera.  The 6D has both "USB" and "Wi-Fi" but if one is enabled, the other is disabled (it's an either/or -- not both.). 

If you want to connect via USB, then you must go into the camera menu (as I recall it's the menu tab with the Yellow "Wrench" icon and 2 dots) and you'll find the feature to enable/disable WiFi.  You have to disable WiFi to use USB.

To use WiFi to the computer, Canon's EOS Utility Launcher has a menu to help it connect to the camera.  I think the USB method is certainly easier.  

Lastly, there's also the option to just insert the camera's memory card into the computer (or get a card reader for your computer if it does not already have one.).  If your computer doesn't have a card reader... you can always get one.  I've had some spotty luck with them.  I finally stumbled onto the Lexar dual-slot (has both CF and SD card slots) USB 3 reader and so far that's been the most reliable (it has worked with every computer and every OS revision without any hiccups -- it was about $35.)

I did resort to putting the card into the card reader and it worked but what a pain, I agree with you about the USB being easier if its working, thanks for your reply

Announcements