cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Canon still keeps using decade old FSI-CMOS sensor? What happened to innovation spirit?

Zalkonian
Contributor

So I was looking for mirrorless camera that would best suit my needs and I like Canon R6 specs. But sadly I learned that Canon reason it keeps still using old sensor technology in this other full frame mirrorless camera‘s that got released recently, after 2020 and still can't find BSI-CMOS full frame camera. Tell me this is somekind of mistake mentioned in websites such dpreview.com because if this true this sounds to me like malicious planned obsolescense? Stacked CMOS also may be still using FSI-CMOS? Also was hoping that news would support pixel shift but not many do.

It is known fact that backlit CMOS sensors are more sensitive and are better f-stop in noise reduction due to lack of electrodes blocking light, also BSI design allows more complex circuitry that’s why many camera’s started using them. It isn’t somekind of groundbreaking super expensive technology and is fact used in mirrorless camera’s and phones since 2015, some of the first such sensor camera’s even date back to 2012.

By now camera industry should have been looking beyond traditional silicon sensors or at least finding ways to increase for example photosite area size since they are inefficient at light gathering, low light sensitivity is lacking, there is need to rely on big full frame sensors to get good image quality what in turn leads reliance to bulky, heavy and expensive lens. I’m happy that Canon at least released SPAD sensor camera but this technology must be mass produced to bring down cost for affordability to regular folks.

I’m waiting for company that has enough courage and respect for users to release mirrorless camera using latest available technology such quantum dot or graphene enhanced CMOS sensors as well other unconventional technologies such as metalens to make big leap forward. Then companies could just charge more instead of peddling little changing semioutdated trash that has questionable application range and is just contributing to polluting the planet.

12 REPLIES 12

ctitanic
Rising Star

Ok, lets say that Canon does what you are asking for and as the result of implementing all that new technology the price tag of the camera reaches $10000. Would you buy it? I know that there are some people that will buy it specially if you make money with your camera. But what about the average user? 

Some times it takes sometime for any new technology to reach prices that are accessible to the average market.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

As I mentioned BSI-CMOS are not more expensive than front lit CMOS. For example Sony a7R II and Sony a7 III are affordable camera's with such sensor and was release long time ago.

So it's not a mistake that Canon still uses horribly outdated FSI-CMOS sensor?

I owned the a7R II and a7R III and I prefer the colors coming from my Canon R6 a lot more. So may be the Canon sensor is outdated but still doing a better job than those sensors used by Sony.

Frank
Gear: Canon EOS R6 Mark I, Canon 5D Mark III, EF100-400 L II, EF70-200 f2.8 II, RF50 and few other lenses.
Flickr, Blog: Click Fanatic.

Well that is just subjective opinion. I care more about scientifically objectifiable improvements.

Stephen

Have you seen the EOS R1, EOS R3, or EOS R5 Mark II? 

These models use stacked CMOS but are they backlit design too? EOS R1 and EOS R3 are also pretty bulky, is size bigger due to larger battery? Canon R5 II is more compact but it has very high resolution that reduces low light performance that's why I'm aiming for  lower resolution camera's such as Canon R6 but it's uses outdated FSI-CMOS or BSI-CMOS?

So, I'm hearing you say you haven't looked at their specs. 
https://canon.us/EOS-R5MarkII

Stephen_0-1727179920717.png

I would be more interested in models like Canon R6 and R8, they don't use BSI-CMOS?

Our sales team will be happy to help you understand what specs are available on each camera so you can narrow down your options. They're at 800-385-2155, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (ET).

Announcements