cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best Canon camera for taking pictures of vehicles to place on company website?

BTC
Apprentice

I need a camera that will take a clear picture of vehicles that we will place on our dealership website.  The space in which the picture will be taken will be narrow & must take pictures of many angles.

3 REPLIES 3

hsbn
Whiz

Any DSLR will be fine. It's really not about the camera. It likes asking "what pot & pan should I buy to make the best beef stew?". Since you want a good quality photo, any DSLR will be good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Depending on what you're looking for, any modern hybrid or even a point and shoot can work too.  SLRs offer a couple of advantages of point and shoots:

Exchangable lenses – more flexibility, better image quality, specialty lenses

Larger sensor – better image quality in lower light.  Better for making big enlargements.

Faster – faster auto-focus and tracking, less shutter lag, faster burst rate (this gap is all but closed in recent models), and with proper lenses faster in the photographic sense meaning that you can take in more light allowing shorter shutter speeds

There are other differences, but these are the major points.  If you’re not going to invest in expensive lenses, then SLRs don’t give you the flexibility and improved IQ over many point and shoots.    The larger sensor won’t help much if you’re shooting with plenty of light and shooting in JPG.  Faster cameras don’t mean much if you’re shooting static objects.

Just some things to consider.  I shoot SLRs, but every year I see the difference between SLR and the rest shrinking.  If you’re referring to taking professional quality photos of cars, then sure, an SLR (can) make a difference.  But if you’re just putting up snaps of cars on a website, save yourself some headache and get a point and shoot or hybrid.  The S95, SX50 HS, and GX1 are all good cameras.

Have to agree with Skirball on the idea that just about any modern P & S can do this well, and I can say it from experience since I do insurance appraisals to collector cars most of which are Corvettes. I'll either use a G9 or DSLR simply chosen because it's the one closest at the time. or the DSLR has the wrong lens mounted for that kind of work. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements