cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What "is" an EOS 77D?

normadel
Authority
Authority

Been looking at used EOS DSLRs, and got to wondering (again) what is the "reason for being" of the EOS 77D. How does it fit in the line compared to the 70D and 80D?  Not looking for feature-by-feature analysis....just a general idea of what made the 77D a model to add to the xxD line. Unique features that called for it? Significant differences with my 60D?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@normadel wrote:

Yeah, but the 77D body size is like the other xxDs, not the smaller Rebel. And Rebels don't have the top LCD display.

I wonder how many 77Ds Canon sold, compared to 70 D & 80D.

The 77D is smaller than xxD bodies, and it uses the LP-E17 battery that is commonly used by the Rebel bodies.  In fact, the body skins for the 77D has nearly identical dimensions for the body skins made for the T6s.  

Compare the T6i to the T6s.  The T6s has the top LCD, while the T6i does not.  It is the same difference with the T7i and the 77D, which is why I feel it should have been named the T7s.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon 60D vs Canon 77D (imaging-resource.com)

Similar would be available for 70D and 80D.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

normadel
Authority
Authority

Compared 77D to 70D, 80D, read reviews of 77D. Looks like the game of taking every conceivable function/feature, and picking a couple dozen at random to create a "new" model, with no clear position in relation to existing cameras. The 77D is compared to the Rebels as maybe an upgrade. Funny how the 77D has a pentamirror finder, like Rebels, where the xxD line is pentaprism.  A cheaper xxD model I guess.

I just wondered what the 77D's claim to fame was. Still don't know if it had one.

All for the sake of marketing a new model and letting the buyer try to figure out what the difference is with other models.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Very good question, which does not have an official answer.  It is an advanced Rebel.

I think the camera body would make more sense had they named it T7s.  It seems complement the T7i in much the same way the T6s complements the T6i.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Yeah, but the 77D body size is like the other xxDs, not the smaller Rebel. And Rebels don't have the top LCD display.

@normadel wrote:

The 77D is smaller than xxD bodies, and it uses the LP-E17 battery that is commonly used by the Rebel bodies.  In fact, the body skins for the 77D has nearly identical dimensions for the body skins made for the T6s.  

Compare the T6i to the T6s.  The T6s has the top LCD, while the T6i does not.  It is the same difference with the T7i and the 77D, which is why I feel it should have been named the T7s.  

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

wikipedia has a nice camera lineup/timeline that shows the placing compared to other models.

jaewoosong_0-1663298937433.png

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)
Announcements