cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What next? I have had a 450D for the past few years. I would like some recommendations?

Andrewadrian
Apprentice

I feel i am ready to progress to a better camera body. I have had a 450D for about 5 years now. I shoot mainly protraits and landscapes. I do like to dabble in some photojournalism on occasion. It seems the 7D MarkII would be a good choice based on online reviews but I would like to know what the Canon community think? Any advice regarding lenses as well would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Google "7D Mar4k II vs 80D" . There is a good "resource" site. Look at the advantages and see if they will fill a void in your shooting needs. Are they worth the cost dif

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 7D Mk II is light years ahead of your XSi.  You will love it.  It is a robust camera, you will notice that right off.  It is a little larger body, for me that is a plus.  I shot two 7D's for years and can testify they are great cameras.  The 7D Mk II is just a nice improvement over that very good 7D.

Another plus, the 7D Mk II will use your current lens(s).  It will also use the even better Canon EF lenses which include the "L" series.

If you have your heart set on a 7D Mk II go get it. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Also consider glass. What lenses do you have?

If you are shooting landscapes and portraits you may not be able to see any difference in your images if you up grade to the 7d2.  The 7d2 is all about complex autofocus for fast sports, and about weather sealing and solid metal construction. Your portraits and landscape are not moving so get little benefit from the complex autofocus, and as you have gone 5 years without physically destroying your 450d it is unclear that weather sealing and a metal chassis is something you've been needing much either. 

While 2 side by side portraits or other slow moving subject images won't look very different with the 2 different cameras they could look very different with better lenses. If you have not ever updated your lenses to good glass I wouldn't go spend all my upgrade budget on a body and then put kit lenses on it.

in that situation you might rather buy a T6i or an 80d (or no camera) and leave money for lenses.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

If you are shooting landscapes and portraits you may not be able to see any difference in your images if you up grade to the 7d2.  The 7d2 is all about complex autofocus for fast sports, and about weather sealing and solid metal construction. Your portraits and landscape are not moving so get little benefit from the complex autofocus, and as you have gone 5 years without physically destroying your 450d it is unclear that weather sealing and a metal chassis is something you've been needing much either. 

While 2 side by side portraits or other slow moving subject images won't look very different with the 2 different cameras they could look very different with better lenses. If you have not ever updated your lenses to good glass I wouldn't go spend all my upgrade budget on a body and then put kit lenses on it.

in that situation you might rather buy a T6i or an 80d (or no camera) and leave money for lenses.  

I don't dispute the benefits of better glass, but I think Scott understates the difference between the two cameras. The 450D, IIRC, is a 12 Mp camera; the 7D2 is a bit over 20. That alone could make a significant difference if you want to create large prints.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

I don't dispute the benefits of better glass, but I think Scott understates the difference between the two cameras. The 450D, IIRC, is a 12 Mp camera; the 7D2 is a bit over 20. That alone could make a significant difference if you want to create large prints.

Not trying to understate but only trying to

see that glass is considered in the budget. Note a

T6i has a 24mp sensor and would leave money for glass. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

"Not trying to understate but only trying to see that glass is considered in the budget. Note a T6i has a 24mp sensor and would leave money for glass. "

The T6i is a great camera.  But, the T6s is more than worth the higher cost.  If the OP wants to get more serious about photography, then it is time to leave the Rebel camera bodies behind. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Not trying to understate but only trying to see that glass is considered in the budget. Note a T6i has a 24mp sensor and would leave money for glass. "

The T6i is a great camera.  But, the T6s is more than worth the higher cost.  If the OP wants to get more serious about photography, then it is time to leave the Rebel camera bodies behind. 

I don't disagree.  I was typing on my phone which takes forever and so I only gave the cheapest option I would consider.  I think, depending on the OP's budget and on how many lenses he'd like to get or need to get, I think the logical choices to consider would be T6i, T6s, 80d, in order of increasing cost and features. 

He seems to be on the right track, planning to get EF lenses so he can have an easier time if he decides to go full frame later. 

Scott

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think your current lens arsenal should factor into your new camera decision.  If you are heavily invested in EF-S lenses, then the 7D2 or 80D would be your best choices.  If you have a number of EF lenses, then you might consider a full frame camera body like the 6D or 5D3.

I just spent the weekend at a zoo, where I carried a 7D2 and a 6D.  I wanted to compare performance and image quality.  I had two "L" lenses, the 100-400mm and a 70-200mm.  I took a couple hundred shots with each camera, swapped lenses, and shot a couple hundred more.  I felt the full frame 6D consistently had the best images, with least amount of noise.  It really wasn't close, IMHO..

---------------------------------------------------

7D2 w/100-400mm

3D8A0151.jpg

---------------------------------------------------

6D w/70-200mm

IMG_6499.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Google "7D Mar4k II vs 80D" . There is a good "resource" site. Look at the advantages and see if they will fill a void in your shooting needs. Are they worth the cost dif

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks jrhoffman75,

I hadn't considered the 80D. It seems buying that body and spending the extra cash on decent EF lenses is the way to go. Especially as that body allows me to use my older EFS lenses whilst investing for the future with EF lenses that I may need when I upgrade again in the future.

Announcements