cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best "next step" upgrade from a Canon 60D?

EPLaws
Apprentice

I would like to buy my daughter (Cinemtography major) a new camera.  She currently has a Canon 60D.  I'd like to find one that takes her to the next level or two.  Suggestions?

25 REPLIES 25

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

The 70D and 80D are not a big step up from the 60D when it comes to video.  Aside from having the ability to auto-focus at real time when recording video, the cameras are functionally identical.  In other words, there is little to no room for growth compared to a 60D.

Identical except for things like 1080P video at 30 fps on the 60D compared to 60 fps on the 80D. Identical except for no headphone jack on the 60D to monitor audio while recoding video, while there is one on the 80D. Identical except for the 60D doesn't have a touchscreen and the 80D does which combined with the Dual-Pixal AF sensor and Canon's STM lenses, allows one touch focus pulls while recoding video. Identical expect the 60D doesn't have WiFi and the 80D does which allows for wireless remote monitoring and control of the video being recorded. Identical except the 60D can only record MOV files, where the 80D can record MP4 files. Etc.

The 60D was Canon's first enthusiast camera to have video its video features pale when compared to the 80D. 

Obviously, you do not shoot video very often.

The features you describe:[ like the ability to auto-focus while recording, or touch screen focus and zooming ] are not as useful to a cinematographer as you seem to think.  It would be highly useful for ENG, Electronic News Gathering, where what is being recorded isn't scripted. 

Those features are really not all that useful for a cinematographer, most especially the automatic AF system with a mind of its' own.  Maybe the real time AF would useful for capturing documentary footage, where again, the action is unscripted.  Touch screen control is not very precise or repeateable.

I hope the OP heeds the above advice, which is don't listen to any of us.  Ask your daughter.  She will know best. 

Based on your responses here I am quite confident that I shoot more video than you do.

Touch focus pulls are a huge time saver in scripted scenes. 

Yes, I hope the OP asks his daughter.

"Based on your responses here I am quite confident that I shoot more video than you do.

Yes, I hope the OP asks his daughter."

Yes, it is likely that perhaps you do.  I know a guy with a P&S camera who regularly shoots more photos per week than I do with a DSLR..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Based on your responses here I am quite confident that I shoot more video than you do.

Yes, it is likely that perhaps you do.  I know a guy with a P&S camera who regularly shoots more photos per week than I do with a DSLR..

Probably better photos too.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Probably better photos too.

You're right.  I do shoot better photos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

80D has dual-pixel continous AF during video. The 60D has no AF during video. And that's before you start talking at least a 2 generation bump in the image sensor. Better video quality, better audio i/o, hdmi out, wifi/nfc, optional electronic zoom lens,  etc

Even the 70D was a big step up from the 60D in terms of video. The 80D just adds to and refines that. 

edit: Oh, and don't forget the touch to focus touch lcd screen.

Announcements