cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best "next step" upgrade from a Canon 60D?

EPLaws
Apprentice

I would like to buy my daughter (Cinemtography major) a new camera.  She currently has a Canon 60D.  I'd like to find one that takes her to the next level or two.  Suggestions?

25 REPLIES 25

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is your budget, and does she have a selection of EF lenses, or only EF-S?

(i.e., Full Frame is the next logical choice, but a 7D is no slouch.)

If video is her passion, you might be asking the wrong bunch.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Next Level?   i would recommend either a 5D Mark IV, which can shoot 4K video, but with some limitaitons. 

Or, I would look at one of the Cinema EOS camera bodies, which have built-in ND filters and a wider range of ISO settings.   These are true video cameras, not camcorders, and are expressly designed for recording video.  They  can use most any of the EOS interchangeable lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not sure how big a jump you mean but the 80d would be a logical step up from 60d. It has the dual pixel autofocus so it can track and focus better in live view and video.  

You should find out before you buy if she wants to stay with another (albeit better) stills DSLR that can do video, or if she wants to go to a dedicated video cam or even to an expensive cinema rig. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Not sure how big a jump you mean but the 80d would be a logical step up from 60d. It has the dual pixel autofocus so it can track and focus better in live view and video.  cINE

You should find out before you buy if she wants to stay with another (albeit better) stills DSLR that can do video, or if she wants to go to a dedicated video cam or even to an expensive cinema rig. 

Cinema bodies have been sold at clearance prices for several weeks, at least until year's end.

@ScottyP wrote:

Not sure how big a jump you mean but the 80d would be a logical step up from 60d. It has the dual pixel autofocus so it can track and focus better in live view and video.  

Plus one on the 80D recomendation.

@TTMartin wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

Plus one on the 80D recomendation.

I suppose it depends upon what is meant by "next step ".  The 80D would be an upgrade, but not what I'd consider as next step

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There's a $1500 rebate going on with many of the Cinema EOS cameras.

For example... the C100 Mk II has a price tag of about $4k and you can currently get it for $2500 (no lens).  But many of the Cinema EOS bodies come in a body version that actually uses the same EOS lenses that Canon DLSRs use.

The C100 doesn't do 4k video... to get to that, you have to jump up to at least the C300 such as the C300 Mk II.  BUT... that's a $16,000 camera with a $4k rebate on it so you can pick it up for the bargain basement price of *merely* $12,000!  (don't forget to order two so you can film in multi-cam and have a backup camera for serious production work!)

So when you see the price tag to do 4k video in the Cinema EOS line... suddenly the 5D Mark IV is looking like a steal.  🙂

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

There's a $1500 rebate going on with many of the Cinema EOS cameras.

For example... the C100 Mk II has a price tag of about $4k and you can currently get it for $2500 (no lens).  But many of the Cinema EOS bodies come in a body version that actually uses the same EOS lenses that Canon DLSRs use.

The C100 doesn't do 4k video... to get to that, you have to jump up to at least the C300 such as the C300 Mk II.  BUT... that's a $16,000 camera with a $4k rebate on it so you can pick it up for the bargain basement price of *merely* $12,000!  (don't forget to order two so you can film in multi-cam and have a backup camera for serious production work!)

So when you see the price tag to do 4k video in the Cinema EOS line... suddenly the 5D Mark IV is looking like a steal.  🙂

from the description literature.

"The Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF is an updated version of Canon's compact Cinema EOS camera designed for event videographers, documentarians, and independent filmmakers. This updated version provides a new continuous autofocus function for all Canon autofocus lenses, using Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. This new feature provides faster and more accurate autofocusing to assist users when operating with small crews."

That's the one that they cannot keep in stock, C100.  It sold for the price of a 5D3 during Thanksgiving Week.  They had bumped the discounts up to $2200 on the C100 line for the entire week.

The least expensive 4K offering from Canon is the Canon XC15 4K Professional Camcorder.  This sells for about the price of 5D Mark III.  No interchangeable lenses.  The XC-10 4K Camcorder sells for significantly less.

While these have a buillt-in ND filter, it is not variable.  ND Filters are critical tools when shooting video.  Sometimes the slower shutter speeds allows in far too much light.  Having one built-in is an added convenience.  The EOS Cinema cameras employ a built-in variable ND filter, which can mean a significant savings on extra gear.

Announcements