cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to pack my 6D & 24-105 lens in my Harley Davidson. Will the vibration damage my equipment?

luckydog
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks again ebigg1. A well padded, quality bag should do the job. I recently came across an article regarding camera gear on bikes. The writer is using Canon equipment, in a backpack, strapped to his motorcycle, on dirt roads. A reassuring and interesting article for those of us wanting to take something more than just a point and shoot for our bike trips. The article can be seen here http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article05_camerapacking/article05_camerapacking.shtml

EOS 6D, EOS 7D, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF 24-105mm f4.0 L, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II,
Speedlite 600EX-RT

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is a precission electronic and mechanical piece of equipment.  What do you think?  Might be worth taking some precautions!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thankyou for the prompt reply ebiggs1. I'm new to the community and was unable to enter anymore information into the subject box. I plan on packing the camera in a padded camera bag and strapping the bag on the rear trunk rack. I do realize my camera and lens are precision pieces of equipment, however, being that the camera is almost completely digital/electronic, wouldn't that make it less susceptible to vibration? I'm not too sure about the lens though. I'm not an engineer, hence my reason for being cautious and seeking advice from someone who may have more expertise in this area. I have not been able to find very much information regarding this topic. Of the several topics that I was able to find, some claimed it was not an issue with high grade equipment, while others met with complete disaster. There was very little information on how the equipment was packed. I would really like to take my equipment with me unless this is asking the impossible.

Speedlite 600EX-RT

There is a lot of mechanical parts in a camera and/or lens.

But if you pack your stuff in a high quality bag like the Think Tank, etc, camera bags you shuld be good to go.  But if you just put all your stuff in saddle bags,  You better just hope for the best.

I am not a Harley rider any more but I recall, from way back when, they do vibrate and shake quite a bit.

I use all 1 series, and mostly "L", so I really never even consider it.  It does what I want and it goes where I want.  What good is it if it won't do what you want and go where you go?  Get a good bag.

EB

Thanks again ebigg1. A well padded, quality bag should do the job. I recently came across an article regarding camera gear on bikes. The writer is using Canon equipment, in a backpack, strapped to his motorcycle, on dirt roads. A reassuring and interesting article for those of us wanting to take something more than just a point and shoot for our bike trips. The article can be seen here http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article05_camerapacking/article05_camerapacking.shtml

Speedlite 600EX-RT

Looks like you are ready for the "Iron Butt".  Smiley Very Happy

EB

@luckydog wrote:

Speedlite 600EX-RT

Having a good bag is just a good idea all around.  It'll help from gross movement of being tossed around while riding, but really any kind of padding can do that.  It won't do much of anything for vibrations, unfortunately.  But I don't know how much I'd worry about it.  I traveled the world quite extensively with my Rebel shoved in a backback and the camera is still working fine to this day.  The 6D and L lenses are much better build quality.

Thanks Skirball. I tend to baby my equipment in my travels. Unlike some of the pros, I have to pay for my own equipment and I don't make money from my photos. So my gear has to last for the long haul.

As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words" and "seeing is believing". This guy from globeriders rocks! If his Canon gear can survive the extreme riding conditions he is subjecting them to, I should have zero issues with my gear. 

http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article05_camerapacking/article05_camerapacking.shtml

Speedlite 600EX-RT

Announcements