cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to buy a new camera as a beginner - EOS 1300D or EOS 250D?

shubham7646
Apprentice

My friend is selling me his 1300D, it's been 6 konths since he bought it and is selling me at a fair price, or should I save up and buy a 250D or is it too much of a stretch for a beginner camera?

7 REPLIES 7

normadel
Authority
Authority

I'm not even looking at these two cameras to see what differences there are.

What I tell you is, ANY camera can be a "beginner" camera if you set it for simpler operation.

The decision should be based on what you think you might need for advanced features/options, and how much you want to spend now versus saving money now with the possibility of upgrading later as you discover more about digital camera capabilities.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 250D is a better camera for the specs, but if you set it at Green Square Auto or Auto+ (depending on what the camera calls it) it basically functions as a point and shoot. 

The 1300D is one in a long line of 18MP sensor APS-C Canon DSLRs. It’s a capable camera. 

What is the price difference? How long to save up the difference, since you will be without a camera till then. If your friend wasn’t selling would you be buying?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Do you have an actual budget?  I ask because investing in a DSLR might not be the best option.

For someone looking to buy their first camera, a mirrorless body might be a better investment in the long run.

Really depends on your budget.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Further to my colleague Normandel's comments.  It is hard for us to give you definitive advice unless we know a bunch of things that  you should consider:  I suggest you read  THIS ARTICLE 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Excellent article!! Should be required reading for camera purchasers and upgraders!

John_SD
Whiz

Go with the 1300D. Learn about photography -- the exposure triangle, composition, the quality and nature of the light. The DSLR camera controls and settings, and how the use of them affects the image, can be learned on just about any DSLR. I recommend getting the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. That will help you way more than poring over spec sheets between one starter camera and another. Get the camera and learn about photography. Enjoy. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Do you have an actual budget?  I ask because investing in a DSLR might not be the best option.

For someone looking to buy their first camera, a mirrorless body might be a better investment in the long run.

Really depends on your budget."

This was the best advice. 😊 Remember cheap is not always the cheapest way to go.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements