cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very fast battery drain: Canon 200D SL2 with Sigma 150-600 contemporary lens

rahat
Apprentice

My 06 year old Canon 200D SL2 still works exceptionally well in terms of number of shots with kit lens of Canon 55-250mm but when paired with a Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens drains the battery very fast.

The lens motor seems to be running even when the power button is kept OFF unless I remove the battery from camera. The battery will drain off within 2-3h even without switching it ON when the lens is mounted.

Is it the small size of the battery or the incompatibility of the 200D with lens or may be something wrong with this particular piece of lens?

Any leads would be genuinely appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation everyone.

3 REPLIES 3

wq9nsc
Elite
Elite

Do you have the lens image stabilizer turned on?  It will greatly increase battery drain.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

rahat
Apprentice

Yes. Keeping it at OS2. Would it create so much trouble?

I tried to see the behaviour of this lens on a Sony Alpha6500 with a Sony to Canon adopter. The motor movement noise was not that prominent but still there was some sound from the lens. Couldn't check how much time would it take to drain the battery of the Sony Alpha6500.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The lens is connected directly to the battery, so if there could be a fault with the lens that constantly drains the battery. The only way to test this is to leave the lens off the camera until you actually need it, and put it on, take the shot and pull it off.

It could also be a weak battery. You might want to try a new one.

Announcements