cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of a mark iii with 143,000 shutter counts

Gjsantoni
Contributor
Some one is selling me a mark iii with 146,000 shutter count in 1,100 what is the real value of this camera on market? The camera is in good condition
13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What exactly is a “mark iii”?  Is that a 5D series camera?  There have been 1D cameras designated as “mark iii”, too.

Depending upon your intended use, I would be less concerned about the shutter count, than the overall health of the camera body itself.  If a shutter decides to fail, it will fail whenever it gets good and ready.  There won’t be anything you can do to prevent it, short of having a new shutter installed, which puts you right back where you started.

How many shots per week, month, or year do you expect to take?  If you average taking 200 shots per week, that is still only 10,000 per year.  A camera with 140,000 shots may fail soon, or it may not.  There is no way to know.  Be more concerned about the state of the lens mount, the battery and memory card compartments.  

Does the camera even work properly?  It is clean on the inside, or is it dirty and moldy?  Etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Gjsantoni
Contributor
Thank you waddizzle, is a canon 5D Mark iii two years old, so have been used heavily.

I’ll be using it for hobbie so I do not intend use it heavily.

It looks in very well shape, body only, clean, have been used by a pro.

@Gjsantoni wrote:
Thank you waddizzle, is a canon 5D Mark iii two years old, so have been used heavily.

Some pros can really use their gear pretty hard.  If you can do hands-on test drive, then do so.  

If there is no battery charger in the deal, then I would negotiate the asking price downward.  A charger is not cheap.  Take $200 off of the asking price.  The battery is probably old, too, and needs replacing.  A battery’s life expectancy is also a function of how many charging cycles it has been through.  With a high shutter count, it is possible the battery has seen a high number of charging cycles.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Gjsantoni wrote:

Some pros can really use their gear pretty hard.  If you can do hands-on test drive, then do so.  

If there is no battery charger in the deal, then I would negotiate the asking price downward.  A charger is not cheap.  Take $200 off of the asking price.  The battery is probably old, too, and needs replacing.  A battery’s life expectancy is also a function of how many charging cycles it has been through.  With a high shutter count, it is possible the battery has seen a high number of charging cycles.

Actually, a Canon LC-E6 charger costs $53 new at that big NYC store.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Actually, a Canon LC-E6 charger costs $53 new at that big NYC store.

I am adding in the cost of a battery, or two.  I am also driving a hard bargain.

Gjsantoni
Contributor
Thank you

It has the charger, but i’ll Try with the battery issue

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well according to Canon that 5d3 is about done.  It's rated at 150,000 but I know of some 5d3's that are well over a million and still working.  Replacing a shutter is not big deal if CPS still services the model you are considering.  It is around $350 bucks.

I would say $1100 is a fair price for that camera.  So for around $1500 you could have a virtually new camera if you had to replace the shutter.  That's not bad.

The thing any more is the high speed shooting people do.  Like a 1Dx Mk II can rip of 14 fps for instance.  This causes the shutter count to sky rocket.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Gjsantoni
Contributor
That’s what I am thinking, if I have to replace the sitter I will have a cero cont for the price of a very used camers

Gjsantoni
Contributor
That’s correct ebiggs1, it is a very used camera but you don’t find one in fine condition for less than 1400
Announcements