cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my t6 rebel as a webcam

Wardport
Apprentice

I'm using the canon t6 rebel as a webcam on a tripod. This setup is including a mini hdmi to hdmi cord to an elgato camlink 4k then to the pc by USB. The other cord is the the data cable to usb

1.JPG

I bought this one because I needed one 10ft. I got all of this working using the Eos Utility program from the canon website. After getting it all setup It shut off and I realize it has no battery left. So why isn't my camera charging while it's hooked up to my pc? Is it the cord? whats going on here?

[Link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with a screengrab]

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

T6's have too high a battery voltage to charge via USB.

So how do i use my t6 as a webcam without having to change the battery every couple hours. Kinda doesn't work as a webcam if i can't power it.

Do i need the data transfer cable running to my pc to utilize it as a webcam? or just the hdmi? cause if thats the case i can get a usb battery charger to plug it into with the data cable. Pretty sure the cable i got with it would charge it while transfering data But 1 i have no idea where that cord is and 2 i need that cord to be 10 ft

@Wardport wrote:

Do i need the data transfer cable running to my pc to utilize it as a webcam? or just the hdmi? cause if thats the case i can get a usb battery charger to plug it into with the data cable. Pretty sure the cable i got with it would charge it while transfering data But 1 i have no idea where that cord is and 2 i need that cord to be 10 ft

"Danger, Will Robinson"

Do not try that.  You will smoke the camera, for sure.  The battery is not connected to the USB port.  You need a DC adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

looks like i need one of these, now the only issue is that in order to mount in on my tripod I would have to modify the camera battery door for the cord. Since it connects to a base that won't allow access to the door for the battery.

2.JPG

Thats a problem I can work with though. I just need continuous power.

[Link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with a screengrab]

You do not need to modify the battery door!! There is a little "flap" that folds open to allow the cable to pass through it!

Capture.JPG

Announcements