cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using EOS M50 Mark II as a Webcam

cervik_
Apprentice

Hey community!
I ordered M50 mark 2 and I was hoping, that I can use it with my mac as webcam. So far I am not able to do that. 

1. I installed EOS Webcam Utility
  2. Restarted Mac
  3. Installed EOS Utility 3 
  4. Updated firmware to 1.0.3 version

Symptoms: After connecting USB cable, Utility 3 starts and I am able to check photos on SD card, I can update firmware. But I don't see camera on Zoom, Meet or Teams in video option. I am able to use LiveShoot from Utility 3, but it is kinda laggy. I don't use random USB cable, not official (I didn't see anywhere, what official cabel is needed).

Do you know how to connect M50 mark 2 as webcam on Macbook? If yes, let me know please. 

Mac version: 12.6, M2 Chipset
Installed EOS WebCamUtility: EOSWebcamUtility-MAC1.0.pkg.zip

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EOS Webcam Utility is a device driver, not an app.  What directions are you following on how to install and use it?

The EOS Utility must not be running, as well as the EOS Utility Launcher.  The Launcher device driver detects when a camera has been connected to a USB port, determine the camera model, and then launch either EOS Utility 2 or EOS Utility 3.  

The Launcher device driver must be disabled because it block the Webam device driver from being able to access the camera on the USB port.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I just noticed that you have the M2 chipset.  I do not think the Webcam Utility is supported on that platform, yet.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey, thanks for answer! Do you know if they have some plans for M2 chipset? It is latest chipset from Apple, so I assume that they should support it 🤞And I tried all things what you suggested and sadly nothing helps. 

wanqiang79
Contributor

Try the following: Download and install the free streaming software OBS on your Apple Silicon Chip Mac.  Start OBS and select the EOS Webcam Utility as a camera (you will need to shutdown EOS Utility 3 first).  Click "Start Virtual Camera" in OBS.  Launch Zoom, and you will be able to select OBS Virtual Camera as a video source.  Good luck!

Here is a sample screen shot with OBS in the background and Zoom in the front.

EOS_Webcam_Utility_OBS_Solution.jpg

Announcements