cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from EOS R to either EOS R6 MK2 or EOS R5

gulax99
Apprentice

Hello I’m considering to upgrade from my EOS R to a EOS r6 mk2 or an eos R5 and for this I need your help because I can’t decide. Why do I want to switch: I’ve gotten into sports photography and the EOS R is just too slow for that 5 FPS with autofocus, mostly for Mountain bike photography. But that’s not the only thing. Before I had the EOS R I used to have a EOS 90D. The 90D had a joystick and a quick control dial wheel - which the EOS R doesn’t have - and I miss those and want them back. The EOS R has a touch bar - which I firstly thought was nice but now I hate it and don’t use it at all.

13 REPLIES 13

I missed the aircraft as subject along the way.  Yep, the bigger sensor would be an advantage but that said much depends on what lenses the OP has - which I don't think have been addressed.  I was shooting aircraft with the 7DII and the 100-400 MkII and had no issues  I always prefer to fill the frame than have to crop.

So much depends on the output - as I said.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard said: " I always prefer to fill the frame...

LOL I said almost exactly the same thing in another thread this evening.

Yup, if he can get close to the action and is only posting digitally, the R6 is probably the better choice.  Certainly, the most cost effective of the two.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

As of this post the R5 is $500 off and Canon gives you the BG-R10 battery grip.  Its about $850 in savings..  Thats an incredible value if its in your budget. 

Canon sold out within a day...  B&H still has this deal.

shadowsports_0-1683247328239.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am always so envious of the deals the US consumer gets.  In NZ the grip is about $650, and the body is $5,200 no deals, either...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements