cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade recommandation from EOS 7D

clearblue
Apprentice

Hello,

I'm faily new to the DSLR world. I got an used EOS 7D with an used EF-S 18-135mm lens. I've been using it while traveling/hiking for landscapes and portrait pictures. It is a pretty heavy camera and caryring it all day is tiring. I'm looking to upgrade the body to a ligher and newer model. I will buy a used one. I'm not looking to change the lens so I would like to be able to re-use it on the new body.

What body model would you recommanend for a beginer/intermediate user? I'm looking for something to fit with the EF-S 18-135mm lens. Is there a model that has proven reliable and there are plenty available on the used market? I'm not looking for advanced features but for something ligher weight and at a decent price, around $200.

Thank you!

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How do you carry the lens?  I used to get tired of carrying my camera, and found a camera strap fatiguing on hikes, not to mention the bump hazard that comes with having a camera swinging from your neck or shoulder.  I also wasn't a fan of having a hard camera body bouncing off of my hip for a few hours, either.

So, I invested in a Lowepro Toploader Camer Holster.  They come in a varying sizes.  Some are designed for pro bodies, or bodies with a grip, and some are designed for bodies without a grip.  In each of those types, they come in varying depths for lenses of different sizes.  Now, I can hike with two free hands, and not worry about my camera bouncing around.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

The 7D is a 2009 model. Any Rebel T4i or later will be newer and lighter. 

The 7D is a more specialized camera than a Rebel, but it sounds like that is not important to you. 

Check the Canon eStore for refurb models. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

The 7D is a 2009 model. Any Rebel T4i or later will be newer and lighter. 

The 7D is a more specialized camera than a Rebel, but it sounds like that is not important to you. 

Check the Canon eStore for refurb models. 

I don't disagree with John's points, but I will point out that:

- The 7D was, for its time, one of the best cameras Canon ever made; and ...

- No Tni has AFMA. But the 7D does; and unless you confine youself to "L" lenses, there may be times when you need it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

I will add to your excellent response that even with L series lenses, AF microadjustment is often needed for perfect AF.   It only takes a few minutes but the results are worthwhile and when I acquire a new lens or body I always check and adjust if needed before shooting anything important so some of the first images from any of my new gear are a series of boring photos with a target surrounded by the lawn 🙂  And several of my L series primes have required a slight (never more than 4 point offset) adjustment with a particular body.  They are certainly close enough to use out of the box but since I generally use fast lens that are wide open most of the time, close isn't quite good enough 🙂

I use a slightly modified version of Canon's suggested procedure and shoot a series of three shots at 0 offset and then three shots each with offsets on the positive and negative adjustment sides in one session and then closely check them on the computer.  From this series, I can quickly either choose the proper point or know exactly what adjustment points to shoot a second run using as the boundary adjustments.  If the lens is one that I might use a 1.4X with, I will also do the shots for it in the initial run.  This process takes 10 minutes or less to perfectly dial in a lens.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

OP said " It is a pretty heavy camera and caryring it all day is tiring. I'm looking to upgrade the body to a ligher and newer model."

The 7D is a great camera. While I wouldn't go in that direction it seems to be what the OP wants. 

Like Rodger I also check my focus on a new camera/lens combination. 

I suspect that the type of lenses that most Rebel owners are using (f/3.5 or smaller apertures) have enough depth of field that the minor AFMA adjustments that we would make to our L lenses are encompassed in the DOF along with the less critical output. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I suspect that the type of lenses that most Rebel owners are using (f/3.5 or smaller apertures) have enough depth of field that the minor AFMA adjustments that we would make to our L lenses are encompassed in the DOF ..."

Exactly why the Rebel line doesn't offer it.  I probably have had more than a hundred lenses in the past few years since my retirement and I can safely and confidently say most lenses, especially "L" lenses, do not need AFMA. That is what I have seen in my experience anyway. Two things about AFMA, one it is easy to screw things up. And, two it does not make a lens, any lens, sharper. A lens is as sharp as it will ever be the day it leaves the factory.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I'm not looking for advanced features but for something ligher weight and at a decent price, around $200."

You, my friend, are going to be disappointed!  A camera with better and more advanced featuers than a 7D has, all for $200 bucks? Not likely in this world. Finding something "lighter weight" will be easy.  Besting a 7D will not.

EB

I'm *not* looking for advanced features...

" I'm not looking for advanced features ..."

I am sorry.  I misread your requirement. However, the $200 dollar limit still is going to make it tough unless you settle for another older camera. The 7D is a very capable camera that hsd only weight going against it.  That is because it is a magnesium body.  The Rebels like the T4i which is about $200 used will be plastic.  Agreed much lighter but less well built for sure.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements