cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II for Canon 30D?

Saluki
Enthusiast

Looking for an all-around single lens for my old Canon 30D. Primary use is for wildlife and bird photography. Saw the Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II  and with the range from wide-angle to tele it looked like it might be a good choice.  Will it work with my 30D though?

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Yes it will work, but it is pretty big and heavy for a walking around lens. I prefer my 18-135 for walking around and my 70-300 or 150-600 for telephoto. And 18mm is not particularly wide angle on an APS-C lens.

Saluki
Enthusiast

Thanks - I've been using a Canon 70-300 which does OK as a tele, but I thought the wider range of the Tamron would be an advantage at both ends of the spectrum.

An 18mm focal length will be equivalent to a 28mm lens on a full-frame camera. Not real wide. If you want wide on a crop-sensor camera, get an EF-S 10-22 or 10-18. Or another brand that goes down as far.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Buy one of the 150-600mm super zooms. Way more better than that Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II. Do you not have any other lenses for the old 30? If not get one of the 18-55mm standard zooms. Way, way better idea!

If you are in a situation where the 18-55mm will do the job you don't need the super tele and if you are "bird" shooting you don't need the 18-55mm. So both should work very nicely together. 😊

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have 3 lens -  Canon EF 50 1.8, Canon EFS 18 - 135mm, and the Canon 70 - 300.  Which of the "super zooms" might I find used for less than $800? 

You might find a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens on sale, or a Tamron unit of the same FL range, used or refurbished as some folks move from the EF lens system to the RF mount.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Nice lens arsenal.

Zoom lenses have what is known as a “zoom ratio”, which is the ratio of the longest focal length to the shortest focal length setting.  The high quality zoom lenses tend to have zoom ratios around 3:1, give or take a little.

A “super zoom” lens tends to have a zoom ratio well in excess of 10:1.  The Tamron 18-400 has a zoom ratio that is well over 20:1.  In order to achieve such a wide range of focal lengths the lens engineers have to make compromises and cut corners.  One of the first things to go on the chopping block is image quality.

A “super telephoto” lens has a focal length in excess of 300mm.  Your 70-300 would fall into the category of “medium telephoto” lens.  Your 18-135 is pushing the envelope of what defines a “standard zoom”, like a 24-70mm.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What lenses, if any, do you currently own?

[EDIT] I do not feel that Tamron 18-400 is a good investment for the price. Look elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Saluki
Enthusiast

Thanks - will look for a Sigma 150-600 that's in my price range

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements