cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T5i Help!!!!

NYC7MIKE
Apprentice

I recently purchased the T5i. I am a begininer when it comes to cameras. When i take pictures in the dark with the flash i get reflection glare from nearby glass. How do i get rid of the glare. Here is a link to the test picture i have taken. [IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/dp8d9v.jpg[/IMG] Notice the glare above the table. Thanks for any help. 

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That's a difficult situation for on camera flash. In this shot, maybe consider a tablecloth on the very reflective table; what you want to achieve is reduced reflection off the table. The flash is lighting the wall, the wall brightness is reflecting back off the table.

For more general use you can try something like this: http://www.diyphotographystuff.info/301/3best-on-camera-flash-diffusers/

You could experiment by putting an opaque Tupperware over the flash. What you want is more diffuse light.

If you are going to do a lot of flash consider an auxilliary flash. If you don't need a lotof power the 270EX II is an option. You can pivot the head up to get bounce flash.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

You could experiment by putting an opaque Tupperware over the flash. What you want is more diffuse light.

Well, perhaps not opaque, but translucent.  I've used just about everything at one time or another, but I find a simple tissue usually is the most available, easy to work with, and provides decent results.  Tissue paper is even better, if you have it.  Just be careful, a full power flash from an off-camera unit is strong enough to burn the paper.  I don't know if the T5i's flash is strong enough, but just something to keep in mind.

OP: As John mentioned, this is really a situation for an auxillary flash unit.  Even better, a situation for getting that flash off the camera.  But that's another matter.  There's a reason why we use these bulky, ugly, flashes in addition to what's on our camera.  Actually, there are several reasons, but a big one is that they allow you to angle the flash in different directions.  In this photo, for instance, assuming there's a wall fairly close behind you and it's also white, I'd shoot my flash directly behind me and up towards the ceiling, and let that light bounce all over.  If that wasn't an option then up would work, but it's going to cast some shadows off that light.

I don't know if yo'ure trying to do real estate photography or just showing an example in a room.  But if it was me,  I would lower the camera a little and point up a little more to level things out; I would move two steps to the right and pan left a bit to show that openess in the doorway or whatever is on the left (it's a standard two-wall shot); I would blast a flash into the wall/ceiling directly behind me to light the room and then I'd place a second flash in the next room to the left about a stop above my light in this room, so some nice warm light comes spilling in from the left, inviting me to wonder what's in the next room and create a feeling of openess and lightness to the room.

I certainly don't expect you to do that, just giving you an example of what goes into these types of shots.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It's all about angles.

The wonderful world of photography is all about light and angles.  You have started down the path of a hobby that is filled with the imagination and things you can do with it and your new Rebel T5i.  Light and angles!  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It's all about angles.

The wonderful world of photography is all about light and angles.  You have started down the path of a hobby that is filled with the imagination and things you can do with it and your new Rebel T5i.  Light and angles!  Smiley Happy

^^  This

It really is all about the angles.  You have to treat the glass table as a "mirror".  Now imagine you have a mirror laying flat on the table and you shine a flashlight on it.  You ARE going to get a reflection off the mirror and the spot from the flashlight will shine on the wall behind the table.

But now imagine that you have someone else stand off to the right side of the table and shine the same flashlight onto the "mirror"... this time the reflection is going to bounce off to the left and shine on that wall... but as that wall isn't in the photograph, nobody will ever see it.

Softening the light using a diffuser will cause the reflection to be less well-defined (it's well-defined because your flash is a tiny light source... a pin-point light source creates shadows and reflections with well-defined edges and details... a broad light source (light originating from a wide area... such as the diameter of an umbrella) will create shadows and reflections with less-well defined details... but you'll still have them.  

If you use the flashlight analogy, you want to position your light source someplace such that the reflection of that light source lands somewhere that the camera cannot see.  That means you want off-camera lighting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Found this.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/03/20/diy-photography-hacks-soften-pop-up-flash-with-an-empty...
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements