Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T4i 650D keeps turning "off"

dallaskruse
Contributor

I'm delving into Live Streaming.

I have a T4i, T3i, Sony A7sII.

I'm connected to my video switcher via the HDMI out.

My Canon (can't remember at the moment if it was the T3i or T4i), after maybe 20-30 mins, will click and then I see the screen to tell me to press the CAMERA ICON button to re-open the "shutter"(?).

The settings to turn off the camera automatically are OFF.  The camera just seems to wanna click off and it's very inconvenient.

I have one of those plug-in batteries so the cam is powered by AC power.  I have Canon lenses attached.

What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum dallaskruse.

DSLRs are not video recorders. In some countries (not the US) videocorders are taxed differently (and more) than still cameras.

The regulations have established that if a device records for more than 29.97 seconds it is a vide recorder. Thus the time limit in DSLRs.

That may be what is happening.

It also may be that the senosr is getting too hot and the camera shuts down to protect itself.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the reply!

To clarify, we're not actually RECORDING. The cam isn't in record mode. We're streaming the HDMI out to my encoder but we're not recording anything to the SD cards.

@dallaskruse wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

To clarify, we're not actually RECORDING. The cam isn't in record mode. We're streaming the HDMI out to my encoder but we're not recording anything to the SD cards.

Probably it's overheating, and turning off to avoid irreparable damage to its electronics. As John pointed out, your camera is not a video camera. It lacks the cooling system that true video cameras have to allow them to continue indefinitely without damage.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Ah. OK.

I'm wondering why only 1 of my Canons is overheating.  Any tips on how to avoid this? 

I'm sure that pure "video" cameras are too expensive for this small Live Stream show we're starting.  

I do not think there any way to avoid the cameraa from protecting themselves.D17AE498-BE22-486D-A6CD-64D7C6761D40.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Right. I understand that.

Is this a completely internal thing? Or would something as simple as placing a fan next to it help at all?

T4i manual page 165:

Untitled.jpg

That's interesting!

No icon ever comes on before it clicks out of "movie shooting".

Also, when it clicks off ... Immediately it will show on screen "Press <📷> button to activate movie shooting".

I would think that if the internal temperature were too high, it wouldn't let me immediately turn back on but rather only turn back on when it's safe to do so (when the cam has cooled down).

@dallaskruse wrote:

Ah. OK.

I'm wondering why only 1 of my Canons is overheating.  Any tips on how to avoid this? 

I'm sure that pure "video" cameras are too expensive for this small Live Stream show we're starting.  

Of the three cameras you listed, the T4i might have the best weather sealing, which would trap heat inside the body.  The Sony body isn't even a stills camera, it is for all intents and purposes a cinema camera with a DSLR form factor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements