cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T3i EOS rebel blurry photos

Mitali
Apprentice
Hello,

I am trying to take portrait photos in Manual mode.
Lens: 18-55 aperture: F3.5 shutter speed 1/60 ISO: 3200.

Picture style in portrait. I changed the focus to center. But my pictures are still blurry. Please help. Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Mitali wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to take portrait photos in Manual mode.

Picture style in portrait. I changed the focus to center. But my pictures are still blurry. Please help. Thank you.

Your shutter speed is a bit too slow, and your ISO is pushing the limit of what the camera can produce.  You need more light, a whole lot more ambient light.  A tripod would help you get sharper photos because it eliminate camera shake introduced by your hands as you press the shutter.

For most adult still subjects, you want an shutter speed, SS, that is 1/200 or faster.  For energetic kids, you want 1/400 - 1/1000.  You need enough light to get your ISO down to 400 or 800, tops.  At ISO 1600, noise will become noticeable in portraits. 

With all of the above in mind, the T3i camera has a built-in flash.  It is fairly weak, with an effective useable range of 10 feet or less.  The built-in flash can also produce fairly harsh looking photos because the flash lacks a diffuser to spread the light.  Most of the images from the built-in flash will look like someone was shining a spotlight.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am trying to take portrait photos in Manual mode.
Picture style in portrait. I changed the focus to center. But my pictures are still blurry. Please help."

First if you are truly in "manual" mode there is no "Picture style in portrait". Forget about it.

I, too, wonder about your settings.  If you choose those settings you are in serious need of a photography course.

Let's analyse. if you were at f3.5 you had to be on the short side of the lens, say 18 or 20mm. Probably the worse FL for a portrait. SS was at 1/60 which is also on the bottom of acceptable SS for portraits but doable. ISO 3200 again almost the worse ISO setting for a portrait.

The common setting on a T3i for good portraits might be 50mm FL, 1/125 SS, ISO 200. A portrait infers there is no movement of your subject.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements