cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So much to learn about the T7 1500D!

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have mentioned that I like to experiment with various settings to get a "feel" for what works and what doesn't. I was just browsing through the manual and stumbled across the solution for a situation I faced last August. The speaker had a double door behind him; mini blinds allowing a lot of light to show through. Photos came out with a glare around him. Recalling something about back lighting, I began to click on some pages in the manual. Bingo! I found it as Changing the Metering Mode. I even printed of the page to put in my backpack for reference.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
2 REPLIES 2

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Another thing to try out when faced with backlighting is AE lock. On the back of your camera is a button labeled with an asterisk. When faced with backlight, you can point your camera at an area with similar lighting as your subject, press the AE Lock to lock in exposure, then come back to your backlit subject to compose and take the shot. You will still have backlight, but your subject will be exposed properly and you will have an easier time in post. After you have pressed the AE Lock button, you will have about 15 seconds to recompose, it varies from camera to camera, and you may even have a menu setting to set the time limit. I generally use "Spot" or "Partial" metering, so I'm not sure how this works with "Evaluative" or "Center Weighted", but it should be the same. Sometimes my subjects are small and far off and even Spot metering will not filter out backlight.

Attached are some screenshots of a male Brown Thrasher singing from the top of our pear tree. I used screen grabs because I am too lazy to type out the EXIF data, LOL.

With backlighting.With backlighting.After using AE Lock. Note that my aperture stayed at f/5.6 because I metered in a darker area.After using AE Lock. Note that my aperture stayed at f/5.6 because I metered in a darker area.

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Many thanks for the info. BTW, nice photo of the brown thrasher. Be vigilant as partridges are known to frequent pear trees.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
Announcements