Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up my EOS R5 Mark II and my first impressions

JFG
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hey everyone,

l finally got around to setting up and testing my R5 Mark II to make sure that everything checked out, and I'm happy to report that everything is A-OK.  The R5 M2 does everything that Canon said it would and more.  It certainly is a hard act to follow.  Its brilliant Eye-control AF system is reason enough to buy it, as it is unique to Canon.  Not to mention all of the fine new technological upgrades, like the 45MP, and the fact that the new R5 M2 has a far more simplified autofocus interface, just to mention a few.  I like this feature cause the set up on my R6 Mark II required a lot of tinkering to get it to my liking.  The R5 M2 has so many new features that I've yet to explore.   But at this time, I'm most impressed with Canons Eye-control AF which I wanted to set up and test and I found it to be brilliant.  It takes a bit of getting use to and one must set it up properly as it is recommended in the advanced user's guide.   The more calibration attempts improve the accuracy.  Also, it is recommended that you perform the calibration under different lighting conditions and different positions.  I did the calibration with glasses on, and it works fantastic for me.  Some have said that it needs more refinement in some areas, but I say to them that they are not using it right or didn't set it up correctly.  Also, one must hold the camera correctly to their eye so that the entire square can be seen while performing the calibration. This feature works so that your eye moves the pointer that appears on the viewfinder (a small circle) to the subject you want to shoot.  As the pointer moves near the subject's head the Eye-AF jumps on to the subject's eye and locks on it for you to click away.   One doesn't have to be pinpoint accurate and get the pointer exactly on the subject's eye, for example.  One just has to get the pointer near the subject's head and the AF will lock on to the nearest eye.  It works the same way on inanimate objects. The camera can even keep the autofocus as intended during high-speed continuous shooting.   Worth every dollar! I love it!  More impressions to come on following posts.  

Cheers,
Joe
Ancora Imparo

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand."
― Ansel Adams

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept."
–- Ansel Adams

"You don’t take a photograph, you make it."
--- Ansel Adams
1 REPLY 1

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Great stuff, Joe!!!!  Really glad this is up to your expectations, and apparently more.  We will  look forward to more impressions and perhaps some photos to show off its features.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements