cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious problems using M50 Mark I with Webcam Utility / Canon Utility

Balthazar
Contributor

I am trying to use my M50 Mark I as a webcam with my Mac, and having no luck.
It worked over a year ago, though it would freeze pretty consistently.*

I am returning after a long time not using it.

I have downloaded and installed everything Canon seems to suggest.

It still does not work.

I have so many questions, my head is spinning.
Is Canon Utility a replacement for Webcam Utility?

Is the M50 Mark I even compatible anymore with the Canon Webcam Utility?

Any help massively appreciated.

*Specifically, I have the M50 set up behind a teleprompter, using Duet and my iPad to create the experience of eye contact in webcam interviews. None of this should interfere with the camera, though, I don't think.

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The download web page should tell you whether the M50 is compatible.  It should also tell you which OS versions are compatible.  There should also be directions on how to set it up, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you. The download page does indicate the M50 Mark I is compatible.
On another page, I saw only the Mark II listed, so was not sure.

What instructions are you referencing?

I believe I have done everything that is suggested.

What OS are you running?  Are you using any sort of AC adapter?  Have you tried using a different cable and USB ports?  Do not use a USB [hub] or cable adapter.

Thank you so much for your attention!

I am running OS 12.6 Monterey.

EOS Utility 3 opens up but I don’t see any menu options that seem to apply to my use case.

When I am on zoom, and turn on the camera, it shows only the page that says EOS Webcam Utility with the USB icon and a red X.

I am using the following AC Adapter with the camera:

Raeisusp 5-8.4V USB Drive Cable ACK-E12 Power Supply + DR-E12 DC Coupler LP-E12 Dummy Battery DC Grip + 5V 3AMP USB Adapter Kit for Canon EOS M EOS M2 M10 M50 M100 M200

I am using the following USB cable from the camera directly into the computer:

Rankie Micro USB Cable, Nylon Braided Extremely Durable, Data and Charging, 6 Feet

I have not tried a different cable.

Thank you!

Peter

I wanted to post an update.
It worked for a moment when I ran the "Lens aberration correction data."

I thought it had solved it.
I shut down the computer, and next time I tried, it's just like it always was.

Frozen on that "Webcam Utility" with the plug icon.

I am certain there is a link to this video on the Product Support page.

Canon EOS Webcam Utility for Mac – Use Your DSLR as a Webcam or Streaming Cam Canon EOS Webcam Utili... 

Thank you. I have watched this video.

It does not address the issue I am having.

What other options do I have beyond posting here and googling youtube?

I found some videos troubleshooting, but it's all a mess.

Any help very much apprecaited.

jasongreenlees
Apprentice

Most videos I've watched and I've watched alot are far too simple claiming a simple close of the EOS Utility and then reopening zoom or whatever web app you wish to use should solve the issue. Try a new cable they say.

I've reinstalled a few times now, updated the firmware, software, different cable and continuously get the unplugged icon on a Mac running Ventura. Spent hours trying to fix this issue. It previously worked for the last couple of years and while I had to make sure my EOS utility was closed it generally would work. Now if I open the EOS utility I can remote shoot to my computer successfully. Zoom and OBS both don't work. What I need is a command line or utility that will tell me what's holding the connection and not allowing the desired app to use the camera as a webcam. Any suggestions welcome?

@jasongreenlees wrote:

Most videos I've watched and I've watched alot are far too simple claiming a simple close of the EOS Utility and then reopening zoom or whatever web app you wish to use should solve the issue. Try a new cable they say.

I've reinstalled a few times now, updated the firmware, software, different cable and continuously get the unplugged icon on a Mac running Ventura. Spent hours trying to fix this issue. It previously worked for the last couple of years and while I had to make sure my EOS utility was closed it generally would work. Now if I open the EOS utility I can remote shoot to my computer successfully. Zoom and OBS both don't work. What I need is a command line or utility that will tell me what's holding the connection and not allowing the desired app to use the camera as a webcam. Any suggestions welcome?

I strongly recommend that you start a new thread for your issue.

Announcements