cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair or Replace EOS Rebel T3i body?

courtroakes
Apprentice

FED723E8-22E9-4313-84D5-A9930BE29844.jpeg

I’ve owned this Canon Rebel T3i since I bought it brand new, in 2012.

The past year the battery cover would randomly pop off, causing the camera to power off.

Now the camera is powering off without this occurring.

However, the cover was still having issues.

I’ve replaced the cover, but the issue still occurs.

Should I bother to send it in, since it’s so old, or buy a replacement body?

If a replacement body, what do you recommend that is compatible with the lenses, if not the exact same type?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

With this budget, only a used identical T3i replacement would be possible.  See John's recommendation above.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

This is your opportunity to upgrade to something more modern.  We don't know what your budget is and since the T3i is over 10 years old, you would also need to account for inflation.  You can use your existing lenses with any R-series body based on an APS-C sensor.  You'll need an adapter for this.  

The R100, R50 or R10 all come to mind.

You can buy another DSLR, but a mirrorless body is better from a performance and long-term investment standpoint.  Their level of performance will amaze you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Before recommending an R50 or R100 to someone who won't be using strictly RF-S lenses, especially if they're coming from a DSLR with a likely larger body, I would suggest they actually handle the new camera with an RF (not RF-S) lens or an EF->RF adapter attached, to be sure they're okay with the ergonomics.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Keh camera has an excellent condition T3i for $155.

Any Rebel would be compatible with your lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Kevin,

We have no idea what lenses he's got, but the adapter will allow him to use any EF / EF-S lens with an R series APS-C based body.  I think at this point the OP is still in the research phase.

The body's I recommended are actually a little smaller with less depth, so with adapted lenses, the footprint will be nearly identical, and a little lighter too.  😉

I fully expect there to be more questions.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Technically you're correct. But I've seen reviews of the R50 from people with smaller hands than mine that complained about the difficulty of gripping the camera with "larger" lenses attached, to the point that they said it wasn't suitable for use with such lenses. While it wasn't clear what they meant by "larger" (e.g. longer or wider meaning non-RF-S), I can see where gripping these cameras (as well as possibly the R10) with anything but an RF-S lens attached is probably going to be more challenging than gripping a similar-sized body with an EF-M mount.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi @courtoakes,

What lenses do you currently own and do you have a budget for this upgrade?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have an EFS 55-250mm lense and EFS 18-55mm lense that came with the Canon when I purchased it in 2012.

I could spend a couple of hundred to upgrade in a few months, if I need to.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

With this budget, only a used identical T3i replacement would be possible.  See John's recommendation above.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:
As my colleagues have alluded to, it is unlikely that you will find it practical to attempt to repair this camera, given its age. There is no indication that the camera was unsuitable for your purposes, so one would expect that the same of slightly better camera at an acceptable price point would be a solution.  As I see it you have a couple of options, given you current minimalist budget:
a) stick with the same budget and, as Rick suggested, get a better copy of the same body.  This has the benefit that you can, if necessary, have spare parts for it as long as the model does what you want it to do.  That is the least disruptive.
b) Save up for a longer period and look for an upgraded or newer model.  Assuming you want to stick with a DSLR, you could look at Canon's Refurbished camera site - HERE or go to KEH and look at their wide collection of cameras.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements