cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording time limit on Canon EOS 2000D Camera of 12 minutes

Elijah1977
Apprentice

Canon EOS 2000D (New Camera to me) Only records for 12 minutes and some seconds.  I cannot find a reason for this limitation  and I am a YouTuber.  I need my camera to be able to record for a longer period of time, How do I make this able to record without limitations.  or until I press the button again to stop recording. I upgraded the firmware from the canon website, but it still does not remove this limitation. Please help. I have also searched for this on the forum and been unable to find a solution.  I am in the United States.  Google search saying this is a common issue and a built in limit that Canon puts on all of their cameras.  I hate this and I want it gone.  this is a very expensive camera for me and I am new to Canon cameras. I also saw that there is a firmware called Magic Lantern, but this will void the warranty.  I do not want to do anything to this brand new Camera to void the warranty.  Please help me find a solution to this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The 4GB file size limitation is a limitation of the FAT32 file system used by the card.  It is the same file system used by MS Windows.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not to sound like wise guy or anything, but have you downloaded a copy of the User Manual.

D748661F-7513-4352-A576-5F9FE8E6CE5E.jpeg

The 4GB file size limitation is a limitation of the FAT32 file system used by the card.  It is the same file system used by MS Windows.

Is there a way to make the camera save the first 4GB video file and then automatically start recording a new file?  I have the Manual, but I don't see a way of doing this.  Also is this FAT32 File system unique to this particular camera or DSLR cameras?  I have other cheap Knockoff 1080P cameras that will record longer videos easily and without issues.  Can I change the file system to NTFS or something as a workaround?  What can I do here?  I am not going to get rude or anything, and I know you guys have probably all heard this question many times, I would appreciate if you all would be kind, this is my first camera of this type I have ever owned and I was not trying to be rude in any way.  If you could offer some kind of alternative work around for this problem even if it means recording multiple video files, I would be eternally grateful to you. 

You cannot change the file system.  The file system is not the problem.  The problem is the camera stops recording. Most Canon DSLRs do not stop.  They seamlessly begin recording in a new file.  Entry level cameras stop.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Canon purposely crippled the video mode so that it is not a "video camera." It was to avoid European duties. If you shoot at lower resolution you can record longer.

Announcements