cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for new lens not zoom

footballmama
Contributor

In charge of taking pictures for the upcoming golf fundraiser for my sons football team.

I will be roving on the green as well in charge of individual pics as golfers enter.

I currently have a canon Rebel T7. I also have a 75-300 mm lens (which I have been using mostly)

Is there a good one for portraits that anyone would recommend?

I was looking at the 135/mm.

Thank you. 

14 REPLIES 14

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

football mama,

The 135 has a good reputation.

A suggestion might be to go online and do some searches for sample photos taken with the 50mm, The 85mm and the 135mm and see which ones you think you might be comfortable with. I personally prefer the 85, but that's just me.

Steve Thomas

this is such a great idea.

what do you like about the 85 versus the 135?

footballmama,

As Zakslm mentioned, your T7 is a crop sensor camera. That means you have to factor in a 1.6 magnification, or zooming power, or whatever you want to call it.

An 85mm lens becomes the equivalent of a 136mm lens.

For the kind of work you are talking about, I personally feel a 135mm lens is overkill, because a 135mm lens turns into the equivalent of a 216mm lens; and because it's a fixed lens, you can't zoom in or out. You would have to stand quite a ways back to get your shot, and in some tight quarters, you might not have that option.

I do not have the 85, but from what I've seen, the optics are terrific, and as Zak     describes, fits the bill as a "short telephoto"

If I could throw a suggestion into the mix, try taking a look at the Canon18-135mm IS USM lens. IS stands for image stabilized, and USM stands for ultrasonic motor, which drives your autofocusing. It's whisper quiet. The optics are superb.

I was lucky enough to be gifted one, and it stays on my camera 90-95% of the time. Being 18 to 135mm, it covers a wide range of every day shooting conditions.

Just a thought.

Steve Thomas

Would the 18-135 be good for on the field action shots too?

footballmama,

As Rick suggested, your lens requirements for a football game are going to be different than shots on the putting green. For football, you're probably going to want something with more "reach", and Trevor's suggestion of the 70-300 makes more sense..

If the football players get close enough to you, the 18-135 would do fine. If you want to freeze the action, shutter speeds are a function of the camera, not of the lens, and your T7 is capable of speeds up to 1/4000th's of a second.

Like you, I own a 55-250 too, and after using the 18-135, I'm finding the 55-250 to be a little soft. I think the 18-135 is sharper.

Steve Thomas

zakslm
Rising Star
Rising Star

footballmama,

I also own a T7 along with both fixed focal length and zoom lenses including 4 of the lenses mentioned below.  Since the T7 is an APS-C (crop sensor) camera and the equivalent focal length for a full frame or 35mm film camera is 1.6X the focal length of the lens on your camera, my comments references the full frame equivalents of the fixed focal length lenses. 

1. I’m wondering why you’re not considering a zoom?  In fact, the 18-55mm kit lens would be what I would considering if I was limited to 1 lens for the types of pics you described.  However, the choice is yours.
  2. Have you considered an EF-S 24MM f2.8 STM “pancake” lens (38mm equivalent)?  It’s very sharp and I think it would be very good for groups (foursomes) where have to get everyone in the shot from head to toe at the first tee.  When and if stopped down one or two stops from f2.8, the background should be in focus showing the golf course and surroundings.  It would be what I would use for the “grin and grab” shots of 2 or more people head to toe or waist up, etc.  I think the focal length enables you to get close to the subject but still maintain a comfortable working distance where you don’t have to shout to get your subject’s attention or impart instructions.  Its ok for head and shoulders shots and can produce good results but the working distance to the subject for those type of shots may be uncomfortable for you or the subject(s).
  3. An EF 50mm f1.8 lens (80mm equivalent) is great for head and shoulders shots or situations or where you have some room to work or can establish some distance between yourself and the subject.   It would be good for small groups if you have the working distance to use it.  There are a few different 50mm f1.8’s available and maybe 4 other EF 50mm lenses in the Canon lineup as well.  I own the EF 50mm f1.8 STM and used to own the EF 50 f1.8 II (nifty-fifty) when I shot film.  Both are really sharp lenses and produce excellent results. 
  4. An EF 85mm f1.8 USM lens (136mm equivalent) is a classic “portrait” lens and a very a nice short telephoto lens too.  It’s very sharp and quite frankly is my favorite lens.  However, with a crop sensor camera, the greater working distance between you and subject(s) may be challenging in tight spaces.  I’m not sure that it would be ideal for small groups or for foursomes on the first tee because of the greater required working distance, but it may work and may be ideal for the "roving" shots you mentioned.  Canon also has an EF 100mm f2.0 USM and I’ve read that its characteristics are similar to the 85mm f1.8 but I have not used that lens. 
  5. I am not familiar with the 135mm lens (216mm equivalent) so the only comment I would offer is that the 135mm focal length is covered by your 75-300mm zoom although its probably safe to say that the 135mm will perform noticeably better than the 75-300.

Hope the above helps.

Good luck!

Wow thank you so much

ideally I would also like to use whatever lens I get for this for the season too.  The one I have now does a great job but am looking for a sharper picture quality 

@footballmama wrote:

Wow thank you so much

ideally I would also like to use whatever lens I get for this for the season too.  The one I have now does a great job but am looking for a sharper picture quality 

Do you know if your sharpness problem is lens related or technique related (I.e. potential camera shake)? The 75-300 is not one of Canon's best lenses, but central area, where you would likely be framing typical golf subjects, is good. What are you viewing your images with? Can you post an out of camera image on Dropbox or similar site for examination?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Great advice going on here.  What seems to be standing out is you have a crop body camera and are looking for good FL coverage for an upcoming golf event.  However, you also want something to that provides year around usefulness.

I would recommend a zoom.  Its more difficult to do portraits on the crop body camera.  If you go with a shorter focal length, you have to get closer to "fill the frame".  I'm not saying it isn't possible, but you will be doing this with your legs.  If you are beyond the edge of a green or have to contend with people, this might become challenging.

I liked the EF-S 18-135 recommendation.  I owned this lens and found it to be extremely versatile.  Edge to edge sharpness was above average, especially when stopped down. 

f/3.5     f/4.0    f/4.5   f/5.0    f/5.6
18mm 24mm 35mm 50mm 76mm

Looking at the table above, you can see that you get an acceptable level of subject / background separation and decent (shallow) depth of field between 24-50mm.  You will likely use somewhere between 24-40mm FL for full body 1-4 person full body portraits.  

Course perspective can be achieved 18-35mm.  A zoom up to 135 will also give you the ability to capture a golfer's concentration and facial expression when he/she is putting.

Prime lenses are great, but I'm making this recommendation to minimize lens changes and keep you from running around.

I also want to mention what zakslm said in point 5.  At some point, I would consider upgrading your 75-300.  It is not one of Canon's best endeavors.  It lacks IS and is an entry level optic.  It does take pictures, but is not known for its IQ or clarity.  The EF-S 18-135, 55-250 and EF 70-300 USM II will all outperform it.

Good luck at the golf event, and have fun.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements