cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T7 not working with my new strobe light, but the test button seems fine? Need some help

drunkenstyle
Apprentice

I bought a new strobe light that came with its own remote. The remote and the strobe light is synced and works perfectly fine when I press the test button, but when I try to take pictures it doesn't trigger at all. I've tried turning everything off, attaching the remote into the hot shoe, and turning everything on but it still doesn't work. The Flash Firing setting is definitely Enabled and has been the whole time.

When I check the other settings it says that the Menu is not available.

Please tell me I didn't waste money on this.

Here is the strobe I bought:

neewer.JPG

[Link removed per forum guidelines. Screenshot from link destination added to facilitate discussion.]

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ray-uk
Whiz

I believe the T7 is one of the cameras that doesn't have the centre flash contact in the hot shoe so you are pretty much limited to using genuine Canon flashguns. Sounds like you have wasted your money.

View solution in original post

I have a T7 and Ray is correct; there is no universal X-sync pin in the middle of your hot shoe, just that plastic insert.

Sounds like your remote transmitter needs that missing pin to trigger it.

Canon hasn't made any new friends with that boneheaded decision but I'll bet it saved them a couple yen on each unit!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ray-uk
Whiz

I believe the T7 is one of the cameras that doesn't have the centre flash contact in the hot shoe so you are pretty much limited to using genuine Canon flashguns. Sounds like you have wasted your money.

I have a T7 and Ray is correct; there is no universal X-sync pin in the middle of your hot shoe, just that plastic insert.

Sounds like your remote transmitter needs that missing pin to trigger it.

Canon hasn't made any new friends with that boneheaded decision but I'll bet it saved them a couple yen on each unit!

I just checked and you guys are right. The center piece in the hot shoe is missing the metal connector. WTH. Now I'm trying to decide whether I wasted money on the lights or the T7

Is there an adapter compatible with a T7 or am I stuck? I'm looking around and I'm seeing no luck

Something like a simple optical slave trigger may work:

jjc.JPG

Put the wireless transmitter in its (the slave's) hot shoe, position it so it catches some of the T7's built-in flash, and it might provide the trigger voltage the transmitter needs to pop your strobes. No ETTL so you'll have to manually find a proper strobe output per ISO setting.

Clunky work-around, yes, but a $10 part might save your whole purchase. You sound pretty competent at troubleshooting and delving into your camera's control layers; if this can work you'll achieve it.

Sanity check... anyone with more knowledge than I think this makes sense?

[Link removed per forum guidelines. Screenshot added instead to facilitate discussion.]

Another option is to get an optical trigger and use the onboard flash to trigger it.

inkista
Contributor

Know this post may be too late for the OP, but if someone else needs to google up an answer...

If your T7 is missing the sync contact, you can use a Godox X1T or X2T (firmware updated for the missing connector compatibility), and stacking your trigger on its hotshoe will work for manual triggers (not so much TTL ones, since the hotshoe is not full TTL passthrough).

But you can also just get Godox gear, and that will work. The X2T-C, X-ProC, and Flashpoint R2 Pro II-C transmitters will work and are compatible with the T7/T100/SL3 hotshoe that's missing the sync connector.  Godox also makes the MS300, a $110 300 Ws AC/powered manual strobe which has a built-in radio receiver that works with the Godox 2.4 GHz radio system.  It allows for remote firing, as well as remote group, power, and modeling light control. 

Announcements