cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T5i downloading pictures to computer

PlainJaneJenny
Apprentice

I have purchased a newer MacBookPro. 2020.  I don't have the same USB as I did on my 2013 Mac.  I'm told I have to have a WiFi connecter?  Anyone else have trouble downloading pictures because USB on computers has changed?  So frustrating.  Help!

5 REPLIES 5

You just need to buy a new cable with USB Mini (for the camera) on one end and USB type C (for the Mac) on the other. Please check the T5i's manual for the exact type of "Mini" that it takes, type A or type B... IIRC, it's A, but don't trust me on that, check the manual. Another option is to buy an adapter, USB type A to USB type C (plug the C end into the computer and the A into that). I use them on my USB C thunderbolt ports and they work fine for my USB type A cables with my cameras.

However, I've found it easier to use a card reader to transfer files. I don't think the MacBook Pro 2020 has one built in, so you will have to buy one, type C USB connection of course 🙂  The downside is if you need a USB connection to control the camera or upload lens profiles, you will need the cable. I would buy both to cover all of your bases.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

There's no such thing as a USB Mini-A connector. "A" is the rectangular connector that computers have/had. Cameras have USB Mini-B, Micro-B, and C connectors.

@normadel wrote:

There's no such thing as a USB Mini-A connector. "A" is the rectangular connector that computers have/had. Cameras have USB Mini-B, Micro-B, and C connectors.

Thanks for clearing that up! I've seen them referred to as "Mini A" many times, but that is probably because it was "Mini" on one end and "Type A" on the other.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Screenshot 2022-06-30 220840.jpg

This adapter will let you use any of your old USB-A devices with your new computer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Those will no doubt work in this situation and I have some of the small ones, but I like the Belkin a bit better, even though they are more expensive, but a bit more robust. No reason in particular on the brand, I've just always used Belkin. They are USB 3, but compatible with USB v2. I have one for each external backup drive and my cameras that use USB type A. [DELETED]

USB C to A Adapter.jpg

Newton

Announcements