cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really unhappy with EOS R6. Curious to know if others have similar Wi-Fi, IBIS, color issues.

johninbigd
Enthusiast

I previously had a 60D, a 6D, then an R. I recently upgraded to the R6 and have mostly been unhappy with the expenditure. I do love the improved eye AF. That makes shooting a breeze! I also love the AF joystick and and the return of the old style control wheel. So nice! But.....the problems.

In order of mild to worst:

1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant

I process my photos in Lightroom Classic and have the most recent version available. I had zero problems with the 60D, 6D and R. Photos from any of those bodies look fantastic, especially the R. Colors are vibrant, skin tones are gorgeous, and there is plenty of contrast. I've done two shoots with the R6 and I absolutely hate the results. So much so that I'm already considering selling it. It's too late to return it, unfortunately. 

Have any of you run into these issues, particularly with the color and contrast?

92 REPLIES 92

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Download and use Canon DPP on RAW files from the R6. If you are still having issues contact Canon support. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Download and use Canon DPP on RAW files from the R6. If you are still having issues contact Canon support. 

I think this is the solution. I found out tonight that Adobe doesn't have the matching camera profiles for the R5 or R6 yet. I thought they did. Your workaround should work great in the short term. I also bought the camera profiles from colorfidelity.com. They do have an R6 profile, and people seem to like their profiles better than some of the ones Adobe provides. I haven't received the profile yet, so I'm still waiting to try it out.

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

I hate to break it to you, but when you bought Tamron and Sigma lenses you bought second rate glass. Why is it Canon's job to make those lenses work with their cameras?? 

Buy a Canon RF lens like the RF 70-200mm, and revel in it's beauty. Seriously, it annihilates anything from Tamron and Sigma. Don't buy into the garbage online, Canon is #1 in glass, has been for decades, and probably always will be.

BTW I have the R5 and my files look good in Lightroom Classic. Not *quite* as good as DPP, but close enough for most people. My problem is Lightroom always looks too saturated in the yellows....

The Tamron and Sigma glass I use rivals Canon's. They are hardly second rate. Yes, the new RF glass is amazing, but calling the Sigma Art line second rate is laughable. I'd put the Sigma Art 105 f/1.4 or the Tamron 35mm f/1.4 against anything Canon makes.

But, yes, the RF glass is insanely good.

There is more to the lens than sheer image quality, focusing, IS, weather sealing, weight, design, reliability, and DOES IT ACTUALLY WORK

Canon built the whole system, the other players are basically leeches. I hate to say I bought Sigma Art (85 f/1.4 and 12-24 f/4) lenses and Tamron lenses in the past. I bought into the whole "sharpest lens ever BS" regarding the Sigma 85 Art. Yeah, it is sharp, and it has crap contrast, crap colors, boat loads of purple fringing, is huge, heavy, and frankly just stupid. And yet the world seems convinced it is the second coming of Christ. I have to disagree with all my heart and passion for photography, I will not support that second rate garbage any further!

CANON FOREVER!!!

That's certainly fair. I've never used the Sigma 85mm Art. But you might want to take a look on Flickr and search for images shot with with the 105mm f/1.4 and the 135 f/1.8. They are superb. The only time I've gotten a lack of contrast is with the 105 when I'm outdoors and forget the lens hood. 

@shawnphoto,

I guess I also disagree with your your statement....  but you are right about Canon not being responsible to make their cameras work with lenses from other manufacturers.  Sigma and Tamron leeches, I think not.

There is no denying sticking with Canon is a good way to go, but Sigma is not second rate glass...  Admitedly, I'm not a fan of Tamron myself.

My Sigma Art and Contemporary glass has performed admirably.  I'm a Canon guy too.....  but not a fan of the R5 or 6.  We all have our preferences.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"1. Horrible wifi connectivity problems

2. IBIS doesn't seem to work with any of my lenses (Tamron and Sigma, through an adapter)

3. Colors are horrible and photos lack contrast, creating a flat smeared sort of look that is really unpleasant."

------------------------------------

1.  People often make the assumption that built-in Wi-Fi means "networkable", which is not exactly the case.  I made that false assumption.  You will find that othe camerar manufacturers are no different, if not worse.  Use the Bluetooth.

2.  AFAIK, 5-axis IBIS isn't supposed to work with the EF adapter.  It enters a degraded 2-axis mode.

3.  I agree with the others.  If Adobe LR cannot get the colors correct, that's too bad.  AFAIK, Adobe does not have profiles for specific cameras.  Have you tried using the Adobe profile in the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

But getting back on topic.

1. We've only heard of a few wi-fi connectivity issues with the R5/6 to date.  Is your issue with any wi-fi network or just the one (in your home) probably the one you use most?

2. I think Wadizzle is right about this.  (IBIS) I can't find anything conclusive,but reviewing your manual with a fine tooth comb might help.  Canon has a tendency to document this stuff, if you look closely.  This also goes back to @shawphoto's post regarding using the "Canon System" or like hardware.  Its true Canon sells a system that when used together is unlikely to be surpassed from a compatibility, reliablity and consistent results standpoint.

3.  DPP is a great tool.  So is Lr.  I like DxO which by the way has body and lens profiles for the R5/6 and Sigma and Tamron lenses.  I'm not recommending that you switch.  jrhoffman75 brought up a good point the other day about DxO.  Its DAM does not have the same power as Lr, but significant improvements have been added the second half of last year in version 3.3 and now in v4 which was released last month.  They have a 30 day trial, but if you want to buy DxO...  this is the weekend to do it. 

BF.png

Its body and lens profiles were one of the reasons I chose it.  DPP is fantastic, but only supports Canon.  Lr perpetual is limited and you have to subsscribe to CC if you want support for newer body's and lenses.  In DxO, they are just there, and they just keep coming.

modules.png  

I am not trying to pitch anyone on it.  Merely pointing out the sale.  This is the only time each year it's priced like this.

I would expect superior optical performance and great pictures from the R5/6.  I am sorry to hear that yours has not met your expectations.  Do as jrhoffman75 suggested and see what DPP can do for you.  They wrote the file algorithims and their software will interpret it best, but you will need to go outside of DPP if you want support for lens profiles outside of Canon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements