cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW + L on the LCD is not the FILE EXTENSION

character_stops
Enthusiast

I definitely had the right image quality selected when shooting RAW + L, even the LCD says it is for each preview, the info button avails the correct image quality. However, when I import to my computer and Lightroom, the only pictures I see a .jpg and not CR2 at all. Isn't there suppost to be 2 files for each shot anyway? The manual says they should be in the same folder.Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 2.23.33 PM.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Here's fix for your RAW in Photos issue. 

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Photos and Lightroom both work perfectly with RAW files, so unless you have a specific need for a straight out of camera RAW file there's no need to shoot RAW+L. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

There are some issues wih El Capitan and Lightroom, but they are not related to what you are doing. I am using LR 6.2 on my MacBook with El Capitan with no problems.

I also have no problems with my Wacom Intuos (not the Pro version).

Here we go:

1. connect your camera or insert SD card in card reader. If Photos opens (and you don't want it to) toggle the selector in upper left hand corner of header.

2. Quit Photos and eject device. Reconnect device; nothing should happen. Go to Apps and select Image Capture. Select the card, and at bottom of that column will be an arrow icon. Use that to select what you want to happen when that device is connected.

Image_Capture.jpg

As I said earlier, to Apple a reformatted card is a new device. Not a major deal, but if you want to avaoid the hassle delete the files from the card rather than reformatting (until you need to).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

25 REPLIES 25

jthoffman it deosn't sound like what you are trying to tell him is correct for what he stated.

"The issue is that the camera isn't not (?) recording RAW even though RAW + L image quality is selected ..."

If this is the case, than there should be two files.  But LR will not import both unless you tell it to.

I don't know exactly what he is trying to say with this, "RAW + L on the LCD is not the FILE EXTENSION"

There seems to be a grammar issue here.  Anyway the LCD, on the camera?  Maybe I am not understanding what he wants to know how to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm almost certain the problem is with my computer's operating system the new OS X, El Capitan. Drivers are going berzerk for so many applications that I've decided to downgrade to Yosemite which is the operating system I had before. The Adobe apps because don't work well with it, also my graphics tablet. Moreover, it wants only to connect the camera to its built-in app, Photos, which won't avail the CR2 files. I'm almost completely sure now that my camera did record RAW, it's just I wont get to see or work with those until I have the better operating system back again.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I know he's saying it's not recording, but I don't know how that can happen, and as you say, it seems he's talking about camera LCD. We need more clarification from OP.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'm almost certain the problem is with my computer's operating system the new OS X, El Capitan. Drivers are going berzerk for so many applications that I've decided to downgrade to Yosemite which is the operating system I had before. The Adobe apps because don't work well with it, also my graphics tablet. Moreover, it wants only to connect the camera to its built-in app, Photos, which won't avail the CR2 files. I'm almost completely sure now that my camera did record RAW, it's just I wont get to see or work with those until I have the better operating system back again.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Photos will work with RAW. I have my wife's camera set up to only record RAW. There may be a setting that ignores two files with same name. Let me look into that. Also, let me get to my computer and get the steps to bypass Photos. One "feature" is that each new device requires the steps, and a reformatted card is a new device to the computer.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I am going to let you have this one!  You are the Mac expert.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That's fantastic that you're willing to look into it! I do hope Adobe and Apple will get together to figure out the conflicts between the two. I know that Apple is aware of it. I spoke with them yesterday.

That's fantastic that you're willing to look into it! I do hope Adobe and Apple will get together to figure out the conflicts between the two. I know that Apple is aware of it. I spoke with them yesterday.

Here's fix for your RAW in Photos issue. 

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Photos and Lightroom both work perfectly with RAW files, so unless you have a specific need for a straight out of camera RAW file there's no need to shoot RAW+L. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements