cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAW + L on the LCD is not the FILE EXTENSION

character_stops
Enthusiast

I definitely had the right image quality selected when shooting RAW + L, even the LCD says it is for each preview, the info button avails the correct image quality. However, when I import to my computer and Lightroom, the only pictures I see a .jpg and not CR2 at all. Isn't there suppost to be 2 files for each shot anyway? The manual says they should be in the same folder.Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 2.23.33 PM.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Here's fix for your RAW in Photos issue. 

image.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Photos and Lightroom both work perfectly with RAW files, so unless you have a specific need for a straight out of camera RAW file there's no need to shoot RAW+L. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

There are some issues wih El Capitan and Lightroom, but they are not related to what you are doing. I am using LR 6.2 on my MacBook with El Capitan with no problems.

I also have no problems with my Wacom Intuos (not the Pro version).

Here we go:

1. connect your camera or insert SD card in card reader. If Photos opens (and you don't want it to) toggle the selector in upper left hand corner of header.

2. Quit Photos and eject device. Reconnect device; nothing should happen. Go to Apps and select Image Capture. Select the card, and at bottom of that column will be an arrow icon. Use that to select what you want to happen when that device is connected.

Image_Capture.jpg

As I said earlier, to Apple a reformatted card is a new device. Not a major deal, but if you want to avaoid the hassle delete the files from the card rather than reformatting (until you need to).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

25 REPLIES 25

What camera are you using? I assume you're aware that if it's a 5D Mk III, the two images don't even have to go on the same card.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

What camera are you using? I assume you're aware that if it's a 5D Mk III, the two images don't even have to go on the same card.

I was *just* thinking this... while I very rarely shoot both RAW + JPEG on my 5D III but if I do I send them to different memory cards.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

EOS Rebel SL1 w/ 18-55 STM. It's not recording RAW. All I know is that I have shot using the same image quality before and ended up having cr2 files able to be imported both to the computer and to Lightroom .... I don't have another memory card.

The RAW+L option is for Rebels. Single card. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

EOS Rebel SL1 w/ 18-55 STM. It's not recording RAW.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you using Lightroom to import images? If you go directly to the folder with the images in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder are there RAW and JPEG files there?

Since you said you're using Lightroom, is the version of Camera Raw compatible with your camera model?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In the General Prefference settings in LR, the default is to import just one file.  The raw one.  The jpg is ignored unless you tell LR to import it too as a seperate file.  If you do you will get two files otherwise just one.  IMHO, I see no reason to import the jpg as appearently Adobe does, also.  But I never shoot raw + jpg anyway.  Why?  In the very rare times I want just a jpg, that is what I shoot.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The issue is that the camera isn't not recording RAW even though RAW + L image quality is selected and the info in playback mode says that the picture is. I would have expected to be able to preview 2 of each kind for each and every shot I took. There simply is only one available to be imported to the computer and it's a jpg not cr2.

The camera won't "shoot" a JPEG. It records all images as RAW and will process the data in camera to create and save the JPEG. If you select one of the JPEG settings the RAW file is discarded and not saved to the card. If you shoot RAW the JPEG creation process is bypased. In RAW+L the camera saves the RAW and then processes and saves a L JPEG.

I can't envision how the RAW isn't on the card. Can you access the card directly and see what's on it. I just switched my camera to RAW+L and took on image.

Capture.JPG

If your issue is that you can't preview a RAW and L on the camera, that is not a problem.  You never really see a RAW file on the camera. Even if you shoot RAW only the camera shows a processed JPEG from the RAW.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements