cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Enabling Touch Shutter

thedanno
Apprentice

I read in the user manual that I should be able to touch the "Touch Shutter" icon in the lower left of the screen to enable/disable this feature.  When I click on that area with touch shutter off it does not enable.  When I go into the menu options and enable touch shutter, it works, but touching the icon to turn it off again only focuses on the area I touch and takes a picture.

Am I misunderstanding the ability to turn this feature on and off using the touch screen?  Are there other settings that are mutually exclusive that would cause this to not work?

Thanks,

Dan

9 REPLIES 9

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, Dan.

I just took a quick look through the manual and experimented with the feature on my R6 and it worked flawlessly. I'm still on f/w v1.7 mainly because we use the R6 II and I just don't see the need to upgrade to 1.8.1. Anyway, I can't find any benefit to the "Touch shutter" menu item as the touch screen overrides it no matter if its enabled or disabled. I guess it's there to set the default action of the touchscreen. The touch function works fine on mine and although I have big fingers, it never missed a toggle. It did miss focus and not take the shot a few times, but that was because I was testing in low light and at times just too close (MFD), so my bad and not the camera. I tested with an RF 50mm f/1.2 for about half an hour just to see if I could make it malfunction. BTW, this isn't a feature that I normally use, so my little experiment is the extent of my knowledge of touch shutter.

Sorry, I couldn't reproduce your problem.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks Newton.  I am not the latest firmware and perhaps that is my problem, something broke in a firmware update.  I touch the icon area repeatedly and I see the focus box appear where the icon is but the icon does not change.

I am still wondering if there is a setting that conflicts with the toggle.  How would you focus and take a picture on a subject where the icon is?  Does something turn on/off the icon toggling ability versus touch shooting? For example, I have Touch & Drag AF enabled (but I did try to disable that and no difference).

Dan

@thedanno wrote:

"I am still wondering if there is a setting that conflicts with the toggle.  How would you focus and take a picture on a subject where the icon is?  Does something turn on/off the icon toggling ability versus touch shooting? For example, I have Touch & Drag AF enabled (but I did try to disable that and no difference)."

Our cameras are set up rather modestly, so there may be other settings that interfere with the toggle but I can't imagine what. Neither my wife or I use the rear screen for focusing so I am not that familiar with it.

You might want to try doing a factory reset. I know it would set you back but if you use that feature a lot, it would be worth it if it worked. Just add your settings back one by one to see if another setting conflicts.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

“ Thanks Newton.  I am not the latest firmware and perhaps that is my problem, something broke in a firmware update.  I touch the icon area repeatedly and I see the focus box appear where the icon is but the icon does not change.

Did it ever work correctly for you?  I seriously doubt that a firmware update “broke” it.  I would even go as far as to rule out that as being the problem.

You have a settings issue somewhere.  I do not think Touch Shutter works in the Green [A+] mode.  I suggest resetting your camera back to Factory Defaults and then reviewing the Touch Shutter camera settings against the User Manaul.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Also worth noting.

@Waddizzle gets credit for this one.  This is likely unrelated, but its available none the less.

Firmware Notice: EOS R6: Firmware Version 1.8.2 | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Maybe you want to do more testing before upgrading.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, that may be a relevant update especially if the OP has messed with the sensitivity, it very well could be the issue. Mine is set to default.

Firmware Version 1.8.2 incorporates the following fix:
1. Improves the stability of the touch operation control when the [Touch control] is set to [Sensitive].
2. Fixes minor issues.

I still haven't installed it, but got 1.8.2 and the latest manual last night.

Newton

thedanno
Apprentice

Tried changing the display touch control to sensitive and it did not make a difference.  The feature is not important enough to me to do a factory reset and re-do all my settings.  Maybe the next firmware update will fix something that was broken or someone else who sees this thread will have knowledge of what is going on.

@thedanno wrote:

Tried changing the display touch control to sensitive and it did not make a difference.  The feature is not important enough to me to do a factory reset and re-do all my settings.  Maybe the next firmware update will fix something that was broken or someone else who sees this thread will have knowledge of what is going on.

I can understand the rationale behind not wanting to reset the camera and losing all of your settings.  But, the reluctance tells me you are not entirely confident that you could restore all of them.  

You should take the time to better understand your camera.  There are at least two menu settings that can completely disable the Touch Screen.  Check your [LOCK] settings.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh, I understand the camera quite well and have customized the settings to my liking extensively, including display preferences, custom dial settings, custom menus with my favorite settings that I change frequently, as well as the shooting and AF settings, lens profiles, IPTC fields, and it has a history of all my batteries.

If the Canon EOS Utility had the option to back up the settings, that would be wonderful.

Right now I am assuming the older firmware works but something broke based on FloridaDrafter's info that it works on v1.7.  Since my touch screen works fine for everything else I'm assuming it is a conflicting setting (though the user manual does not warn of conflicts as it does in other situations) or v1.8.1 is broken.

Announcements