cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark ii High Speed drive ... doesn't stop taking photos after releasing shutter button.

mikelangelo
Contributor

I shoot an indoor environment for action shots of Radio Control Cars (Racing). The R6 and R6ii are perfect for this because of the poor lighting and ability to handle higher ISO. 

Current situation: 

• Manual mode (I have a custom setup setup),
  • H+ drive mode.
  • ISO is set to Auto
  • Aperture is between 4-5.6
  • Shutter Speed ranges between 1/125 and 1/1800 
  • I use mechanical Shutter with Anti Flicker enabled (lots of old flourescent lights overhead). 
  • Detect Vehicles is enabled. (1/8th scale RC cars)
  • I am on latest firmware for my RF 70-200 F/4 lens and the body. (v. 1.1.1)

Behavior: 

• My R6 is flawless. 
  • My new R6ii is great but there will be instances where I take my finger off the shutter, and the camera continues to shoot an additional 5-10 photos.
  • Another behavior is sometimes the LCD goes solid black. I can still take photos, but it's just a black screen. I have to turn the camera off and on again to 'reset' it.. 

These issues are very problematic for me.. they definitely occurred a few times... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

That's good news for sure.  @kvbarkley did say it could be the shutter button and based on the repair, I believe he was correct. 

I'm sure you can put this behind you now and enjoy the camera. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You likely have Focus Bracketing enabled.

Unintentionally. 😃

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Could it be that it has stopped taking photos, but it is just flushing the buffer?

mikelangelo
Contributor

I have all bracketing options disabled. Raw burst is disabled. Focus Bracketing and multiple exposure are all disabled. 😞 Great suggestion, tho!! 

Since the LCD would periodically go "black" after those extra exposures... I was concerned it's a bug of sorts. I'll be doing a bunch of tests soon, too. Hopefully, I'll be able to share additional details. 

mikelangelo
Contributor

I wish it was flushing the buffer, but I've never taken enough photos where the buffer actually filled up. And I get a lot of photos of "dirt" because I'm done shooting my subject, and I naturally point the camera down thinking I'm done... so I get a bunch of random/fuzzy images. lol. 😞 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I think it might be time for you to perform a full factory reset for the camera's main and custom settings.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I did perform factory reset. Retested. Same issue. I actually worked with the store I bought the camera from and they swapped it out for me with a new one. I'll be testing the same functionality this evening in my specific shooting environment to evaluate it. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

A head scratcher for sure.  Hopefully the new body behaves as it should.  Let us know the results please.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I will absolutely!! 🙂 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Could be a sticky/defective shutter button.

Announcements