cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark II and Sigma 150-600mm C incompatibility

Mitch_P
Enthusiast

I am upgrading to an RF 100-500mm L, so it won't be an issue for me moving forward. But I thought I might warn others that some versions of this lens have incompatibilities with the newer R bodies. If you're shooting in Servo, the AF will "pulse" when shooting something near the MFD. FWIW, this issue is also discussed on some YouTube posts. Please don't blame the victim 😉

As far as I can conjecture, Sigma won't address this problem in fear of Canon coming after them, and Canon won't update their firmware to suit some other manufacturers lens. That leaves the user in the lurch.

Another TOTAL incompatibility is the Irix 11mm ultra wide MF lens. This lens will freeze the R6 Mark II until you remove the battery. This body/lens combo does not work AT ALL. I'm guessing it's the same with the entire Irix lineup, but I haven't tried them all.

I think they all worked on the original R6? Pretty sure these lenses are also fine on the original R. AFAIK, it's only the newer R bodies.

If Canon reads these posts, my advice would be to get this sorted out or let Sigma know it's OK to fix it. I've been talking my friend in to upgrading from his T7i, but I have to take back the recommendation because he uses a Sigma 150-600mm C. He can't afford my $2500 fix of upgrading to the RF 100-500mm L. Without some kind of solution, you've lost a sale of a new camera body, which could have led to a lens sale in the future. As it is, I'd recommend a Sony and MC-11 converter to him as a 100% working setup.

21 REPLIES 21

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Have you tried updating the firmware on the lens or checked if one was available before you start pointing the finger. The 3rd Party manufacturer has claimed compatibility with the Canon EF Mount. The 3rd Party manufacturer claimed compatibility with the RF Mount via a mount adapter. Canon never said that the 3rd Party's equipment was compatible with the EF Mount. Nor being adapted to use on RF Mount cameras via a mount adapter. They've only claimed compatibility with their own EF, EF-S, TS-E and MP-E lenses.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Who's pointing any fingers? This is a fact and observed by other people. I am merely giving someone a heads up before they make a very expensive mistake. But then again, I knew someone would blame the victim 😉

I updated firmware both the lens and body, in fact one of the first things I did.

Here's the bottom line - based on my and others experience, I won't recommend a newer R series camera to anyone using a 3rd party lens. You would rather just have people get screwed and write off the brand? That's not good for Canon. I admire your brand loyalty, but I have as much loyalty for a manufacturer as they have for me.

And I never claimed they were officially compatible, but I did assumed it with a "EF to R Adapter". Pretty sure other people will assume it as well. Better to let them know upfront, with people being people and all...

I'm not loyal to any brand. I've shot both Nikon DX (APS-C) and Canon (EF-S) APS-C and (EF) Full Frame. I've come across incompatibles between older 3rd party EF lenses on newer EF Mount bodies. So this isn't about different lens mounts. So you can't just assume that your older 3rd party EF lenses will work correctly on a new EF Mount body. I came across an incompatibility between my old Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM lens with a Canon 90D. The lens worked correctly on my old Canon 40D. But it won't work correctly on the 90D.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Yes, if you've been shooting for a while we've all experienced that. But I've never had every third party lens crap out at the same time. Also, these lenses were working on earlier R series bodies.

Now I won't be affected by it, I'm getting a new Canon RF telephoto lens. I already have an EF 400mm f5.6 and a RF 100-400mm. Both work flawlessly. The R6 Mark II is the best camera I've owned for "getting the shot". This after coming from a Nikon D850. I will probably get the R5 Mark II when it comes out. The AF is just that good.

All I'm doing here is trying to warn others, is that OK? The Sigma is a massively popular lens, and the R6 Mark II is the envy of most in that demographic. Is a warning not appropriate? 

This is also not Canon's first time either. Old film era 3rd party EF lenses used to draw too much power while stopping down the aperture. This would cause Canon's new digital line of cameras and last 2 or 3 EOS 35mm AF cameras to throw a fault code. It is fine to warn people. Just watchout for the forum moderators. They can remove posts from the form.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree with Demetrius.  There are several YouTube videos out there with photographers (mostly wildlife) discussing the AF pulsing when the Sigma 150~600c is mounted to the R7 and R62.  I own this lens.  Sigma did release some firmware, but nothing since 2020.  v2.03 is the latest.  None address a MILC body.

Ver.2.03

• It has optimized the exposure during viewfinder shooting when used in combination with the EOS 90D and the EOS-1D X Mark III.
  • It has fixed a rarely-occurring communication problem during Live View shooting when mounted on the EOS-1D X Mark III.

Ver.2.02

The firmware will optimize the operation of Mode2 in Optical Stabilizer when used in combination with the SIGMA MOUNT CONVERTER MC-21 EF-L.

Ver.2.01

It has improved the stability of the image in the viewfinder, making it easier to confirm composition, thanks to the updated control algorithm of the Optical Stabilizer.

For the time being, the most consistent and reliable results are achieved using adapted Canon glass.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hmm... It sounds like you're agreeing with me instead.

My OP is directed at you: someone who owns that Sigma 150-600mm lens. Just be careful upgrading to the newest bodies.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm not here to take sides.  Its not about that.  Nothing wrong with you sharing an experience.  I'm sure it will help others.  I've already moved to MILC and RF.  I've tested the 2 Sigma lens I own and both work in stills mode.  Cinema mode also works, but AF is much slower.  I'm in the same boat.  I'm waiting to replace the 150~600c with a RF equivalent.  100~500L or the 200~500 with 1.4x TC if it makes it from patent to something for sale.  Just being patient.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Iphosia
Contributor

I have the exact issue with the Irix 15mm and I am honnestly quite pissed. All the more since it seems to be a problem that doesn't occur with other RF mount cameras. I do hope Canon will release a fix... of course, they have no reason to do so... but still.

In the meantime, I will leave my 15mm mounted on the 5D Mark 3...

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements