cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark II HDMI Limitations - Simultaneously display on monitor and LCD screen

Watkins
Contributor

First post, new here. Curious, but does Canon read these comments?

I just purchased an R6 Mark II and I was shocked that the camera's display was disabled when external HDMI was connected! My camera shop was also baffled by this. My vision isn't what it used to be and I was excited about the ability to use a larger external display for monitoring while also having the built in screen's touch focus and info.

If it's possible, I would really appreciate the ability to connect an HDMI monitor while maintaining the ability to record to the camera and use the camera's display in both photo and video modes.

30 REPLIES 30

Yes. And it needs to be changed. 

It's limiting and camera is disfunctional, which seems to be Canon's motiv. 

Thanks, you too. 

@luka3rd wrote:

Yes. And it needs to be changed. 

It's limiting and camera is disfunctional, which seems to be Canon's motiv. 

Thanks, you too. 

If that is what you need, then I suggest that you upgrade to a cinema camera.  BTW, during movie playback there is only ONE signal source being routed to two outputs.  Most cable TV boxes can do something similar.

It has been clearly explained to you.  The camera has only set of electronics capable of creating a video signal.

Most owners of the camera are only shooting stills, not videos.  Including a second set of electronics to create a second video source would significantly raise the cost of the camera with a feature they would most likely never use.

So, if they can send one signal in two directions, then why don’t the do it when the camera is in “Clean HDMI” mode?  

My guess is that people would start complaining about the lack of AF points and and camera controls on the rear screen.  In other words, we are back to square one…the need for a second video signal source.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's been clearly explained? 

No, it's been covered up with nonsense, sorry. But the talk about two circuits is bogus...

I thought we are all here to influence others for the best! 

And your aim is to defend Canon and their decision no matter how malicious they are! 

I don't need cinema camera, I need functional modern MILC, what R6 II is supposed to be! 

Giving micro hdmi and useless hinged screen is where the surplus earnings should stop. 

Blocking horizon level and other functions of the hdmi port are pure negligence. 

Hello Waddizzle,

This is a debate that has no place.

"I suggest that you upgrade to a cinema camera"... This is what we undoubtedly heard a few years ago with focus tracking or dual cards or histograms, fast colors etc...

Send a signal in two directions, other brands of the same caliber of devices do this. Canon will do it, they're just late. For our inconvenience.

But we had hoped that they would correct (evolve) quickly.

Don't see it as a complaint, but rather as a legitimate desire.

A picture is worth a thousand words

David2024
Contributor

All the same!! Will the Canon team announce a software update to allow the use of an external monitor AND the camera's LCD? We hope so soon! other brands do it.

@David2024 wrote:

All the same!! Will the Canon team announce a software update to allow the use of an external monitor AND the camera's LCD? We hope so soon! other brands do it.

Nope.  It is not a firmware issue.  The camera lacks the electronic hardware to do it.

I suggest that you read through all the comment in the thread.  A firmware update will not add electronics to the camera body so that it can produce two independent video signals.

Let me put it this way.  Some cable TV converter boxes could display a “picture in picture”, while most could not because they lacked a second cable signal decoder to do it.

Have a nice day.

My problem was mainly to find a monitor that could communicate with the camera on the autofocus via touch as on the LCD. And I didn't find.

@David2024 wrote:

My problem was mainly to find a monitor that could communicate with the camera on the autofocus via touch as on the LCD. And I didn't find.

Use an iPad and the Canon Connect App.

Yes I use Canon camera conect with my Iphone in wifi mode. That’s already it, you’ll tell me. It's true, but the image returned by the application is not much larger than the LCD and the functionalities are basic. I can't change the ISO or the aperture for example. It doesn't broadcast zebras either.

On the other hand, and this is a very good thing, the app allows you to follow the focus by touch like on the canon.

I invested in a pocket transmitter (acssoon nano, which I attach under my Canon mounted on the DJI RSC3 and which wirelessly retransmits the image) and when I stream, not recording internally, I can benefit from the iPhone via the Acssoon nano application which is very good and in addition to the Canon Lcd.

But I imagined being able to take advantage of this ergonomics as a monitor when I record internally too. In the end, it won't be possible this way. 

We always want the most, don't we?

David2024
Contributor

Ok, thank you for your insight. So it's all wasted. Shame. Have a good evening to you (from France)

Announcements