cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5c usb-c dummy battery issue

Trottsky
Contributor

After switching out of video mode, camera becomes unable to power on. Power must be removed and re-established to use camera again. I have tried two different usb-c dummy batteries, both brand new. Both supply the camera with the specified voltage and amps. 

Equipment:
R5c
Dummy battery
PD USB-C power bank 100w

Steps to reproduce:
1. Connect camera, dummy battery and power bank
2. Switch camera into Video mode
3. Switch camera to Photo mode

I have tried turning off sensor cleaning at shutdown, it has no effect

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please confirm FW version?

What dummy batteries are you using? (brand / model) etc.

How are you connecting power to them? (Please be specific)

What is the brand and model of your PD?  (100w) great, what is it.

Lens - What brand and model, are you using an adapter (brand?) Does this happen with all lenses, just one, etc.

And last, what happens if you connect the PD directly to the camera's USB-C connector?  (Advise you use your cord caddy protector) 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick, thanks for taking a look at this.

The camera is running firmware 1.0.2.1

Dummy batteries are:
1.JPG
2.JPG

Connection is simple, dummy battery in camera, USB-C connected to USB-C port on power bank

PD is Baseus Blade 

3.JPG

Lenses don't seem to make a difference, I have tested RF70-200 f4, Sigma Art & Canon EF lenses via adapter.

Directly connecting the PD with the camera's USB-C port works fine, provided a LP-E6NH is inserted. Without the battery inserted the camera doesn't power on at all. Is this normal behaviour?

I am using the supplied Canon caddy protector.

[Commercial links removed and replaced with screenshots to facilitate discussion.]

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

On paper, your PD appears to support any power requirements of the camera.  

9v, 3A = 27w (30w)

8.4v, 3.7 A = 31w

I'll test my PD today and see if it allows a battery swap.  I don't have any dummy batteries.  I just connect directly which you said works.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes for normal video work I have been using the PD connected directly to the camera's USB-C port for many months now, no issues there. I get about 3 hours of runtime for R5c + monitor + accessories, with a recharge time of only 1 hour.

The dummy battery setup is for e-com fashion shoots in the studio, in this situation the camera is tethered to the computer via USB-C so my client can review the images. In these shoots my clients now want video shot simultaneously so I am switching back and forth between video and photo modes throughout the day. Until now I have been doing this with the LP-E6NH battery packs, but I am chewing through those faster than I can recharge them.

Greetings,

Sorry for my late reply. I don't have a dummy battery to test with I'm afraid.  

In active photo mode with USB-PD connected to USB terminal and battery inserted, the camera shuts off when the battery door is opened.

In active video mode with USB-PD connected to USB terminal and battery inserted, the camera remains *on* when the battery door is opened.  If you are recording, this also continues. The camera also continues to run if the battery is removed...  So hot swap is possible in video mode

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I have just tested this:

In active video mode with USB-PD connected to USB terminal and battery inserted, the camera remains *on* when the battery door is opened.  If you are recording, this also continues. The camera also continues to run if the battery is removed...  So hot swap is possible in video mode

Can confirm it is working correctly, I must have been in Photo mode when I checked earlier.

Is there somewhere I can raise the original dummy battery issue with canon directly?

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Trottsky,

I'm glad to see the USB-C power suggestion shadowsports made is working for you. In regards to the dummy battery issue we would recommend loading a Canon battery in the camera and check to see if the same thing happens. When you check this done have any other power sources connected. If this same thing happens with a battery loaded by itself that indicates there is an issue with the camera. If it is only happening when you have the dummy battery loaded that indicates there is an issue with the dummy battery.

If the issue is with the dummy battery we would recommend contacting the maker of the dummy battery. Through Canon support we only have information on products made by Canon itself. If you want to try the Canon dummy battery power adapter there are two pieces to it and you would need both. The  DC Coupler DR-E6C is the part that plugs into the battery compartment and the AC Adapter CA-946 is the part that plugs into your power supply.

If the issue is happening with a Canon battery loaded in the camera we would recommend sending the camera in for repair. 

The Canon U.S.A., Inc. online repair portal allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020. 

Please follow the link below to access our online repair portal to arrange for service:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product. 

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

Hi Hazel, thanks for helping out.

Yes camera operation is normal when using battery only.

I had a feeling you would say the dummy batteries are at fault, but what are the chances that two brand new dummy batteries from different manufacturers exhibit the exact same behaviour?

Appreciate your suggestion regarding the canon power supply, but my rig draws power from a PD power bank and the solution must use USB-C. Is Canon likely to produce a USB-C dummy battery? I would buy it 🙂

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Trottsky,

I just realized something.  The R5 C requires 3.0Amps.  The Canon  DR-E6 is 2.0A.  The DR-E6C (R5 C) specific is 3.0A. 

I noted that one of your dummy batts is 2.0A.  Is the other 2.0 as well?   I suspect this is the issue.  Guessing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements