cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 won't wirelessly connect to EOS Utility

Gutierrez
Apprentice

Our new R5 has had varying success connecting to EOS Utility wirelessly. We are running windows 11 on our Razor Blade 17 RZ09, and Surface Studio 2. Wired it connects right away to both computers, however we have had constant issues with it connecting wirelessly. We have tried using the network that the camera creates as well as using an already established WIFI network. We were able to connect to the Surface only by using an already established network but cannot connect the Razor, and cannot connect to either computer using the network that the camera creates. Everything works perfectly until we open EOS Utility and click "Pairing over WIFI/LAN" and our camera model never appears. I will also note that we are connecting to the 2.4GH network, not the 5GH. 

We used to use a Canon 5d M IV and had no issues with it connecting wirelessly to any computer. Since the R5 will connect to our Surface using an established WIFI network, but not the Razor, we are thinking it may be a computer setting issue. Anybody else experiencing this/know what may be going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have the EOS Webcam Utility installed on your computer? Some have issues trying to use the EOS Utility with the webcam utility also installed. 

If that is not the case, try deleting the Wi-Fi setup in your camera and start again with the Wi-Fi setup.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Just FYi's and general observations.

The R5 has a dual band radio + Bluetooth.

While Wi-Fi is convenient, its not the fastest when it comes to transferring large amounts of data.  In this case a card reader is probably best. A USB cable connection is also fast and reliable.  I'd recommend a cable for tethered shooting as well, especially if you are saving photos to the computer as you go.  

I am not familiar with the Razor Notebook series.  What type of wireless chipset does it have?  Check its firewall settings and note that 3rd party AV if installed might also interfere with connectivity.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Thank you for your timely response, unfortunately that is not a good fix to our problem. We are trying to connect the computer to the camera so we can control the camera from the computer while also taking advantage of file transfers. We are not solely using it for file transfers. We photograph dancers on a regular basis, and we like to have our camera set so that it writes a raw file and a JPG. We have the JPGs set to transfer to the computer (hopefully wirelessly to avoid tripping hazards) so the dancers can give input and select photos that are the best for them. Our problem is that we can't get the Razor computer to see the camera if it is not a wired connection.

We lookeed and what our Razor computer has listed as the wireless chipset is: Killer(R) WI-FI 6E AX1690i

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Hmm, I remember "Killer" now.  Intel bought them 😃.  WiFi 6E, latest AX standard, should be backwards compatible with the WiFi 5 AC standard the R5 uses.   

I understand what you are doing and only transferring JPG's even if "L" shouldn't be too bad. 

The first thing I would do is look at the driver's properties.  You can do this in Device Manager or on the Adapter properties itself.  Look for anything that might ensure backwards compatibility.  WPA2 (example)

Something in here for example:

shadowsports_0-1695087278521.png

You can also try disabling IPv6 as a test.  Total stab in the dark here.

shadowsports_1-1695087373077.png

You can also try updating the Wireless Driver.   Intel® Killer™ Performance Suite

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, I posted basically the same thing you did and was late on the trigger, so I deleted it. I have the Killer AX and force it to AC, plus I've made other tweaks. My R5 connects perfectly, FWIW 🙂

Newton

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do you ever go into the camera menus and change communication mode from USB to wireless?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Both Newton and Waddizzle brought up excellent points.  👍

Newton by all means you are welcome to jump in 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Gutierrez
Apprentice

We are able to connect the computer to the camera by Wi-Fi. That part of the process works without a hitch.

The EOS Utility software does not recognize the camera. When we click the "Pairing over Wi-Fi/Lan" button, the camera is not listed in the dialog box.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have the EOS Webcam Utility installed on your computer? Some have issues trying to use the EOS Utility with the webcam utility also installed. 

If that is not the case, try deleting the Wi-Fi setup in your camera and start again with the Wi-Fi setup.

Gutierrez
Apprentice

That was it. I uninstalled the EOS Webcam Utility and everything worked correctly.

Thanks!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements