cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 tethering to Capture One always displays "no card in camera" in viewfinder while shooting

austinhargrave
Apprentice

While tethering with Capture one, the viewfinder or rear display always display it has no card in the camera, which is a little distracting while shooting. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix to stop it!?

18 REPLIES 18

saraessex
Contributor

I really hate this too. I don't know who should fix this, Cap1 to allow shooting the card while tethered, or Canon, to allow us to remove this warning. So frustrating when trying to compose a shot.

There is a decent workaround! Change the "VF display format" (which can be found on the 8th page of the first Menu ((the red camera icon menu - SHOOT8)) to Display 2. This gives the image that you see through THE VIEWFINDER a black frame and keeps the annoying "No card in camera" warning out of the image and less distracting.

Yes, thank you, but it's not ideal bc the viewfinder image is smaller.

AlyWhitman
Apprentice

Please fix this bug and stop suggesting we turn on "release shutter without card". Clearly the problem we are having is in composing the shot, not in releasing the shutter. 

The Canon and Adobe softeare do not run into this issue.  To me, it sounds like the problem is Capture One requiring that the card be removed in the first place, which others do not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

The Canon and Adobe software do not run into this issue.  To me, it sounds like the problem is Capture One requiring that the card be removed in the first place, which others do not.

I fully agree, this is not a Canon bug or issue.  Just because "it didn't happen with previous Canon cameras".  @Mark35mmF2 is by far one of the more knowledgeable (veteran) contributors here.  He doesn't need to apologize, he's not a Capture1 expert. 

Capture1 indicates support for the R5. 

Camera models and RAW files support in Capture One – Capture One

Some of you appear to have found undesired behavior in their application.

The R5 and 6 are not "like previous Canon Camera's".  They allow connection of external recording devices and thus, their operating systems are more robust / flexible / different.  I suggest you make a feature request, with Capture1.  I'd like my new Canon product to work more seamlessly with your software like previous versions did.  Canon does not need to change their FW so 'No Card In Camera" will not appear in the OSD or Capture1 application during composition.  Capture1 can certainly choose to suppress that though if they want to include it in their roadmap.  

We're all here to try and help, but the expectations do need to be reasonable. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

johnmakesmoves
Apprentice

The solution is to shoot with an SD card and not a CF. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@johnmakesmoves,

Awesome!!  There was a lot of back and forth about this. Excellent you found the work around. 

I am not a Capture1 user, but I know they have a forum.  I did a bunch of research when this thread got posted trying to determine what was causing the issue.  Someone may need to raise this with the Capture1 developers.  I think the R5 MKII is rumored to have 2 CFExpress type B cards.  We are a ways off so they have time to fix this for those who will shoot tethered to their software.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

From what I have read CFExpress cards present them selves as disk drives rather than memory cards. That may be the source of the problem. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements